Proof of pervious purchase of MaxIm

Discussion in 'Licensing Issues' started by Rob McNaught, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Rob McNaught

Rob McNaught Standard User

I lost my PC and all MaxIm software in a fire two years ago. Diffraction Ltd will presumably have my details of a previous purchase of MaxIm, but I can't find any details myself. Can your staff confirm my previous purchase and thus provide me with a discount code? Didn't want to do this in public, but I can't see any way to contact Diffraction Ltd in private.

2. Rob McNaught

I found the previous version details (Ver 2.01) and have the serial no. It is registered in my name. When I submitted the details in the webpage for the "Old Version Discount Voucher", I got the following reply:

We have received your request for a voucher against an earlier
    version of MaxIm DL. Unfortunately our ordering system has not
    been able to authenticate your request. Please check that you
    entered all information correctly.

Although it doesn't state it on the submission page, I wonder if the original email address is required. The email address I had at that time no longer applies, so please advise me what I can do to authenticate my earlier purchase. I rather suspect I purchased an upgrade after Ver 2.01, but I can't find any reference to it.

3. Rob McNaught

It is disappointing that you have found no record of my previous purchase or upgrade. For what it's worth, I probably used the email address rmn@murky.anu.edu.au for the previous purchase. That email is no longer valid.

I purchased MaxIm DSLR at full price yesterday and followed the link in the email to the download. That gave me the file MaxImDL608.exe which I installed on my desktop (at home where I have no internet connection). Once installed, there was nothing I could do to enter the key and have the OK button "ungrey out". I tried putting in clipboard or using the LOAD button and navigating to the license file. I'm guessing downloading again might be the best option, but at 20 kb/s, "big" downloads (at a friend's) aren't welcome. [Yes, I live in the first world country Australia, where our locality next to Siding Spring Observatory has no mobile phone coverage and ultra slow satellite internet that stops completely when the schools get out.]

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I searched the Version 3 records, which predates our current database system, and found you in there.

In 1999 you did have a V3 license - upgraded from your earlier V2 license - but the records say you transferred it to the Australian National University, Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics. Address says Uppsala Project, Mount Stromlo Observatory.

5. Rob McNaught

OK. That was right at the start of the Uppsala Project. I guess the University paid for the upgrade, because the original was in my name. The project no longer exists as of 2 years ago and the ANU do not have my copy of the software or license, both of which were destroyed.

I've downloaded MaxIm again and will try reinstalling. I probably wasn't clear in my earlier note today - nothing was displayed in the "key" window when I tried to paste or to LOAD the license.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you received your license on a Mac computer, we've occasionally experienced corruption of the license by the email program. In any case, I'll send you a private message with a copy of your license.

7. Rob McNaught

Excellent, thank you. The 2nd emailed license worked. The only difference from the first is my emailer has made a slight difference in the indentation between the first and subsequent lines of each block of text.