Staff Assigned: Bill Lynch ST-8300M not connecting

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by John Aaroe-Hansen, Oct 29, 2018.

1. John Aaroe-Hansen

John Aaroe-Hansen Standard User

Dear employee at DL,
    I have a ST-8300M which I'm still very fond of, However this weekend something strange happened. When I connect the camera, it hangs. The USB connection is OK - it has been assigned to a virtual/com port in the device manager, the drivers have been updated (via the DriverChecker64), the filter wheel (FW-8) takes a spin, the shutter (if manually moved in front of the chip), retracts and the diode is red. Still it hangs until I either pulls the power cable or the USB cable. I have tried connecting via both MaximDL and TheSkyX (both is fully upgraded versions). I run Windows10 and it worked until this weekend. No changes, none what so ever.

Can you help? I would vey much appreciate! Thank you so much!

Kind regards,

Peter/Denmark

2. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Peter,

Would it be possible for me to connect to your computer remotely (via TeamViewer) and troubleshoot? If that's not possible, could you collect a driver log while you attempt to connect, and forward it to me?

Cheers,
    -Adam

3. John Aaroe-Hansen

Hi Adam,
    That's very kind of you. Yes, I think that would be possible. When would it work for you - maybe you could give me a time slot or two where it would work for you? Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

Peter

4. Adam Robichaud

I'm usually free on weekdays from 10 am - 5 pm EST, but I can make arrangements if that doesn't work for you.

5. John Aaroe-Hansen

Hi Afam,
    Could you please tell me where I can find the log file folder, then I will send you the latest version.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Peter

6. Adam Robichaud

SBIGUDrv logs are collected in the folder specified in DriverChecker64. You'll need the latest version of that application in order to collect logs. Instructions on how to do that are here.

7. John Aaroe-Hansen

Hi Adam,
    I've collected some data in the log file (see enclosed). I don't know if this will help. Otherwise we can schedule a TeamViewer session, if that will still work for you. Thank you for your help :)

8. Adam Robichaud

I'm not seeing the log file attached. Can you zip it and try attaching it that way?

9. John Aaroe-Hansen

Hi Adam,
    It looks as if it's enclosed now :)

Thanks!

Best regards,

Peter

Attached Files:

• Log.txt
      File size:
      6.7 MB
      Views:
  10. Adam Robichaud

Hi Peter,

It looks like the issue wasn't captured in the log — or at least, I didn't see anything in it that was conducive to the error. Can I possibly remote in to see what's going on? Just PM me with connection details for TeamViewer (or a request for assistance if you don't know how to use TeamViewer) and we'll get you squared away.

-A

11. John Aaroe-Hansen

Hi Adam,
    I've sent you a PM. Thanks :)

12. John Aaroe-Hansen

Hi Adam,
    I can leave the pc + camera on Monday 9 AM to 5 PM if that will work for you (or any of the other workdays)? Or any way you would like to arrange it. Just let me know. I'm flexible. Thank you! :)

13. John Aaroe-Hansen

Hi Adam,
    Any news yet?

Kind regards,

Peter

14. John Aaroe-Hansen

Hi Adam,
    Did you talk to your colleagues yet? I really mis using my camera. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Peter

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sorry about that John... Adam is off this week.

I'll fire him an email to remind him to help you with this.

16. John Aaroe-Hansen

Thank you so much, Doug!

Kind Regards,
    Peter

17. Adam Robichaud

Hi John,

Thanks for your patience. So shy of a Windows update coming in and breaking something, our team is in agreement that there is likely some sort of hardware failure at one level or another. You can try and roll back your Windows installation to a known functional location (if you have one available in your restore points) and see if that resolves the issue. You can also disconnect your camera from the computer, and do a complete uninstall of all SBIG drivers (via SBIG Driver Checker 64).

More likely, though, is there's some sort of issue related to wear and tear. Try the following:
    - Replace any old USB cables
    - Ensure your camera is receiving proper power levels by using our stock power supply
    - Connect the camera directly to your computer, or change the port your camera is plugged into (USB Hosts are known to die occasionally)
    - Add a ferrite choke to your cable as close to the USB port on your camera as possible

If none of these suggestions resolve the issue, then it's likely the camera would have to come in for service, in which case I refer you to our friendly neighborhood Bill Lynch—but let's exhaust all the options before going down that route.

18. John Aaroe-Hansen

Hi Adam,
    Nothing seems to solve the problem and so the only option left is to ship it from Denmark to you - unless you have a business partner closer to me? What would you suggest?

Kind regards,

Peter

19. Adam Robichaud

We don't have any repair depots in Europe, sadly. @Bill Lynch can help you take it from here.

20. John Aaroe-Hansen

Hi Adam,
    Bill didn’t reach out to me - is there way I can get in contact with him?

BR. Peter