Help Select New Old Camera

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Emilio J. Robau, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Emilio J. Robau

Emilio J. Robau Cyanogen Customer

I can't afford the newest cameras. I have an ST 8 XME with a CFW8A. It was fun to learn on and I purchased it used several years ago. I now want to upgrade and keep my AO-8 as well for the next camera if possible. I can't afford the new STT-8300 mono version. I want to purchase a camera that is an upgrade from my ST-8 and is kind of main stream or falling out of favor so I can upgrade and still eat. Does the group have any suggestions? I guess the preference is mono with filters for color. I guess I could go with a one shot color. Anyways any suggestions on what model? I am using three scopes. An new GSO 10" RC, a 10" Orion f/3.9 and a Borg 77ED. The latter is reserved for my DSLR.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Price of 1k to 2k would be great.

2. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

I have seen used ST-8300M cameras sell on the used market in your budget. I love mine, have done a lot of great images with it.

3. Emilio J. Robau

Yes,

Thanks for the response. I have narrowed down the possibilities and this seems like a good option. However it will not support the AO devices, which I am trying to salvage and utilize as I exit from the ST-8. My only real choices for upgrades and the utilization of the existing AO-8 is STT and the ST10xme.

4. Emilio J. Robau

Not sure it is worth going from an ST-8 to ST10. Might as well go for the STT but it is expensive and out of the range. I saw a somewhat problematic STT for sale on Astromart but missed it. Probably a good thing. It seemed to have some kind of light leakage in the upper left corner of the chip. The chap was trying to troubleshoot it and just sold it cheap for someone else to figure out what was going on.