STF-8050SC "First Light" Image

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by Curt Morton, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Curt Morton

Curt Morton Cyanogen Customer

I'm posting my first true "first light image of my new STF-8050SC camera. Although classified as a "OSC" camera, it differs because the traditional RGGB Bayer matrix has been replaced by a "Sparse Color" matrix, which replaces the extra green pixel with a clear "polychromatic" (luminance) pixel. The chip is much more sensitive to the luminance channel data. It's an intriguing concept with a lot of potential. So far I haven't seen any other examples of images from this camera, so I guess I'm breaking some new ground here. There were a few gremlins to exorcise when I first started using it, but the great SBIG support team helped me work through them and I'm excited about what the future holds!

The central object in the image is VdB136, a rare yellow reflection nebula located approximately 2500 LY in the target rich constellation Cygnus. The STF-8050SC was attached to a Celestron EdgeHD11 on a pier mounted MI-250 mount. The image consists of 42x900 Sec subs (10.5 hours total imaging time), FL 1960mm at F/7.

Curt
    VdB136 101219 LRGB Mstr 01v2 1600x1200.jpg

mike m benjamin likes this.
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Wow! Curt that is stunning!
    Would you mind if I shared that image (Would give you credit) with people?

3. Curt Morton

Curt Morton Cyanogen Customer

Colin,
    I'd be honored! Looking forward to sharing more images in the future!

Curt