AO-8 with ONAG-SC Off-axis Guider

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by joncox, May 19, 2020.

1. joncox

joncox Standard User

I would like to use the AO-8 in conjunction with the Innovations Foresight ONAG-SC. However, I see a couple of challenges with doing this.

First, I need the guiding camera to be separate from the imaging camera. However, it doesn't seem that SBIG sells a separate camera, kind of like the SC-2, that can directly control the AO-8. Is the only way around this problem to buy a new Aluma 8300 and a separate remote guide camera, which plugs into the Aluma 8300? This way the Aluma acts as the controller for the AO-8, but uses the remote camera?

Second, is there a way to independently control the AO-8 via the I2C protocol? The AO-8 is a nice mechanical system, but I would like to control it myself using custom software and my own CMOS guide camera. Does SBIG sell a USB controller for the AO-8, for example?

Finally, if SBIG sold something like the SC-2, but without the off-axis guiding portion, it would be much easier and less expensive to use the AO-8 with the ONAG. Maybe the only option is to get an SC-2, and screw it on to the end of the ONAG, to use it like an on-axis guider? Not ideal, especially since I'd like to use a large area CMOS camera to control the AO-8. I also don't know if the SC-2 optics and camera are sensitive to near infrared (750 - 850 nm)

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I wouldn't use a remote guide head; that's just another small guide chip. You can guide using any SBIG camera that has an I2C port. That includes the STF-8300 and the Aluma 694. Either will give you a nice big sensor.

We will be releasing our STC-7 / STC-428 cameras very shortly. This is essentially the CMOS replacement for the STF-8300M and STF-8300-OEM, respectively.

You can use your own software to operate the AO-8, but you have to do it via an SBIG camera with I2C port. Our API is available.

3. joncox

joncox Standard User

OK, that sounds nice. I have a ST-8300, which is an older model. Using your drivers/API, can I control any of the AO-8 models, or is it specific to particular version of the AO-8, AO-8T, etc.? I'm guessing your API will allow me to send commands over I2C to whatever version of AO-8 happens to be attached to either the ST-8300, Aluma 8300 or STF-8300. In other words, its all compatible, if I am using the API directly. Is this correct?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes the ST-8300 can do the job. The AO-8 is compatible with all SBIG cameras that have I2C / AUX ports. The AO-8 / AO-8T / AO-8A models only differ in their mounting plate and connector. AO-8 and AO-8T have DB-9 connectors while the AO-8A has a mini-DIN connector. AO-8 has the old style mounting plate for ST-series cameras. AO-8T and AO-8A have the newer plate that works with STT and Aluma series.

Please note that we've moved to a new API for new camera models. The SBIG Universal API handles STF / STXL / STX and the older STL, ST-I, and STT series. The DL Imaging API handles all the new cameras, which includes the Aluma, Aluma AC, StarChaser, and STC camera series.

5. joncox

joncox Standard User

OK, so I would have to use your older API to control the AO-8 with the ST-8300? Is this something I can still download and use with Linux or Windows 10, or is it ancient and unsupported at this point?

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It is still actively supported under Windows and Linux.