Resolved Strange behavior with STXL-11002, FW8G, and AO-X

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Nick B., Jun 28, 2020.

1. Nick B.

Nick B. Cyanogen Customer

I just added an AO-X to my STXL-11002/FW8G this afternoon and now I'm seeing some unusual behavior with the camera cooler. I was taking some short exposures to test connectivity and the cooler kept shutting off. Everything I've read here indicates it's a power problem, but I watched the power level indicators on the side of the camera and it always showed a status of green. I don't have any extra power cabling; just the original power supply and extension that was supplied with the camera. The power supply has a sticker marked, "Modified to 13v Rev.B." Is my power supply failing or is it a camera problem? The camera was purchased new in May of 2019 and the AO-X this past May.
    Thanks,
    Nick

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What software are you using? Have you configured is for SBIG w/AO, and SBIG AO w/FW ?
    It could be a power issue, or a cable. Could you use Upload a File to show us a picture of your setup, just in case we notice something.

3. Nick B.

Hi Colin,
    I'm running MaximDL v6.18 and have the drivers configured for SBIG w/AO, and SBIG AO w/FW. I've attached a couple of pictures of wiring and the power brick.
    Thanks,
    Nick

MaximDL Settings.JPG Mount to camera cabling_sm.jpg Power Supply.jpg STXL, FW, and AOX cabling(3)_sm.jpg

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It sounds like you are getting too much voltage drop. If the input voltage to the camera drops too low, the camera automatically shuts down the cooler to prevent overheating. (The internal power converter has to draw more current to make up for the lower voltage, and that can cause too much current to flow).

Possible causes: Power supply brick failure. Extension cable failure (specifically, one of the wires may have broken - there is more than one pair of wires in the cable to distribute the current and keep the resistance low.)

What is your camera serial number?

5. Nick B.

Hi Doug,
    SN:19010002. FYI, I just repeated the tests and everything appears to be working, however it is cool inside the observatory. Yesterday afternoon it was hot even with a small AC unit running. I'm beginning to think the camera was simply protecting itself (from me). Is there an upper limit to the ambient temperature when you should not even attempt to operate the cooler?
    Nick

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes. The camera also monitors the heat sink temperature. If it exceeds a certain (quite high) threshold the camera shuts down the cooler. This feature exists mainly to prevent camera overheating should the cooling fan ever fail. That's the first time I've heard of it happening due to high ambient temperature. It must have been incredibly hot in there!

7. Nick B.

You'll be happy to know that I have tested the heat sink thermal monitoring functionality and it works as designed! The temperature in my roll-off is often higher on the inside than it is outside and it was hovering close to 100F here yesterday. I'm comfortable that nothing is wrong with the camera, power, etc. The cooling in the STXL series is so effective and robust that I simply failed to consider limitations. Let's chalk this up to lesson learned.
    Thanks!
    Nick

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Wow... that's toasty. You might consider a solar-powered fan setup with a couple temp sensors.
    If you your ambient is 100F (38C), with a delta-T of 50+C for an aircooled camera, (38-50 = -12C) it may not reach your cooler setpoint either, and will back off cooling too.

9. Nick B.

I have actually been looking at solar powered vents. That sounds like a good project for next weekend. :)
    Thank you both again for your help,
    Nick