ASI 071 color camera and RBI

Discussion in 'STC Series CMOS' started by Iaffaldano Giuseppe C, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Iaffaldano Giuseppe C

Iaffaldano Giuseppe C Cyanogen Customer

Hi all, i am using my Sbig 16200 with great sutisfaction in a remote observatory in Colorado owned by my friends; here my last images with the W.O. Spacecat :
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/17910585@N06/albums/72157662167213281/page2 where you can see also some images realized with an Epsilon 180 Takahashi and an ASI 071 MC PRO color;
    even if the taka E180 is f/2.8 the colors of this Asi 071 are always difficult to come out; since i have seen on a dark frame a residual image of a bright object taken before this dark frame i am having a doubt: is it possible that this ASI camera, this model, can suffer RBI? my friend is sure that the dark frames were taken rightly.
    Thanks for a kind reply even if the question should be asked to ZWO firm who surely will reply that is not possible.
    Carmine

P.S.: i think that the actual cmos sensors are not good like the old ccd sensors..... but this is the 'progress'.....
    Good luck and good new year to all.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes I have seen RBI in CMOS sensors. Just like in CCD sensors, it appears to be worse in some models than in others.

Unfortunately, ON Semi stopped manufacturing CCDs last year. CMOS sensors have swallowed up the majority of the market, since for most applications they are less expensive and higher performing. Unfortunately they do have some downsides for extreme low-light imaging applications such as astronomy. Specifically, they all have issues with "amp glow" on long exposures, and they all have very limited ability to analog bin. This limits their sensitivity for long exposures, spectroscopy, and similar applications. One can hope that these limitations will be overcome in time.

We have a couple of major customers who simply cannot use CMOS sensors because they can't do the job. Fortunately we have access to SONY CCD sensors for a few more years.

Teledyne E2V also still makes CCD sensors, but they are extremely expensive - and they also require a lot more electronics and stronger cooling to perform well. That makes the cameras prohibitively expensive for most users.

That said, I'm very pleased with the performance of the STC-7. This is one of the newest generation CMOS sensors and it really is quite good.

Hold on to that 16200, though, it's a unicorn now!

Iaffaldano Giuseppe C likes this.
  3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Carmine, we're hearing reports of various problems with the ZWO cameras, and ZWO is trying to fix their driver bugs.
    Do you have a set of raw, unprocessed dark and light FITS images available? You might have to use dropbox/wetransfer/google drive to send over.
    I'd like to take a look.

Iaffaldano Giuseppe C likes this.
  4. Iaffaldano Giuseppe C

Thanks for your kind reply....but on socials nobody speaks about RBI with cmos... they are stupid....;
    i will preserve the 16200 as much as possible....all the best.

5. Iaffaldano Giuseppe C

Unfortunately the frames are not mine.... i can process only.