Firmware Bug??

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Galaxyhunter, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter Cyanogen Customer

Camera Setup = STC-7 + SC2 + AO-8A
    1st problem which I'm sure is just a configuration setting, is - While trying to calibrate the mount (guiding) the mount wouldn't move. Using my ST cameras, I plugged the 6 conductor phone cable into the serial adapter on the camera & it guided just fine. On this camera I plugged the same cable into the jack on the SC2. I believe that for the ST cameras, I set the guide option to guider relays. That's how I have it configured now, but No Joy.

The main problem is: At the end of the mount calibration, I would get a runtime error. I tried three time & it happened every time.

Next bug.
    I would take a sample image using 2x2 binning. I would then switch to 1x1 binning to compare images, At the end of the exposure, I would get a camera disconnect error. This happened twice.

If I would try to reconnect the camera, I then would get " Filter Wheel error" and the camera would not connect. This also happened twice. If I would cycle the power supply on the camera, then I could get the camera to connect up.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      992.1 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      897.9 KB
      Views:
    • 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      673.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Galaxyhunter

Ne need to worry about the first problem. Long story, Lets just say "Operator Error"

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I think we have something in the works for the Binning issue.

4. Galaxyhunter

Okay, so if I don't change binning mode, I should be alright?
    Any thoughts on "The main problem is: At the end of the mount calibration, I would get a runtime error. I tried three time & it happened every time."
    Now this might be tied to my first problem which is on me. If the clouds stay away tonight, I should be able to retest.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi GalaxyHunter,
    To confirm - there's 3 problems ?
    1. Operator error
    What is the error eg what did you do wrong?

2. Calibration
    a) Diagnosing the "runtime error" problem
    - Upload the MaxIm log
    The log will have a name like "202103.07.log" and will be found somewhere like:
    C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings\Log

Runtime errors are not a normal error from MaxIm. Please provide specifics.
    Can you reproduce it?
    When it happens, do a PrtSc, paste into MSPaint, save as a PNG file, and then [Upload a File] using the button at the lower right?

b) Cabling
    The guide camera was supplied with a 6-pin modular flat cable to fit the RJ12 in the SBIG StarChaser SC-2. I would suggest using that.
    What mount do you have?

c) Settings
    Zip up your MaxIm settings folder, (including subdirectories and all files) and attach here with Upload a File.
    Found in:
    C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings\

d) Things to check:
    File... Settings... Site and Optics tab
    Make sure your telescope and guider optical settings are configured properly (not just 0), and the coordinates on Earth are set properly.
    These parameters are used in the guiding process, and I find a lot of people miss the setup step.

3. Binning
    - I'll talk to Adam about providing you a "Beta" to fix this.

4. Connection Problems
    Please implement the suggestions here:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/

Anything I missed?
    Cheers
    Colin

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Carl, download, unzip and review the readme.md file (open in notepad).
    Follow those directions install the attached Beta 2.0 drivers. We think this will solve the binning issue and connecting issue potentially.
    Let us know how it works.

Attached Files:

7. Galaxyhunter

Thank's Colin. Hopefully I'll be able to test it tonight. I'll be writing up my Operator error in the next day or two & will PM it to you, Kind of long winded. You asked what kind of mount I have. It's a ATM mount driven by SiTech servo controller. Can be seen here. Hawkeye-Observatory.com

One thing I did find today is that the autoguiding cable (new in the SC2 box) is flipped (connectors) compared to the cable I was using for my ST camera. The cable that is supplied with the SC2 is to short. I made a new one coping the the connector wire colors from the SC2 supplied cable.

8. Galaxyhunter

Setting Folder zip file. The latest dated entry should be the night with errors.

Attached Files:

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks, some odd stuff in the log that is going to take a while to weed through.

10. Galaxyhunter

The first few days of logs was probably trying to get the guided focused. It is the last night when I developed the problems.

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

When you can, do a run with the new beta drivers.
    Maybe just do a test of the PC and cameras, no stars, just to make sure everything connects and will take images (of nothing... clouds, your kitchen ceiling...)
    If you'd like me to hop into your machine with TeamViewer to check it out with you, am willing. Just not tonight. We'd have to schedule.

12. Galaxyhunter

I did a binning test that gave me problems the other night. In a darken observatory. 2x2 , 160sec, Medium stack pro. Then switch to: 1x1, 160sec, Medium stack pro.
    It read out just fine without disconnecting. So at least on this test, the beta solution works. Well see how it goes under the stars.
    I have no plans on switch bin modes very often. My pixel scale tells me I need to be 2x2.

13. Galaxyhunter

Okay, I have a stupid question: Does the AO-8A plug into the camera or the guider?????

14. Galaxyhunter

I got the guider to operate - kind of. It moves the mount but there is something strange going on.
    1: I start the guiding & it is working
    2: I switch to the expose tab & start the image. It counts down the "Guider Settle" & as soon as it starts the image, The guider stops
    3: There is a caution box when the image downloads, & the guider does not restart.

I posted a video of this on my web page. It's about 39mb so it takes a couple of minutes to download.
    hawkeye-observatory.com/CN/SBIG/STC-7-Guider.MTS

Something else. From the "Expose Tab" it doesn't matter which camera I have selected, It downloads the image from camera 1. If I want to see what the guide chip is looking at, I need to do it from the guide tab.

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

AO-8A would be controlled by the camera with the guide sensor, which in your case is the SC-2, so plug it into the guider.

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Good, so you've solved the cable issue.

The dialog box says "No Image Requested".
    We need the log file e.g. 20210309.log - please use Upload a File to attach it.

I'll need the log file.

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

OK, this is good news - beta is intended to fix the binning and disconnect.
    I'd like to have the log file to confirm no other issues present.

18. Galaxyhunter

I uploaded everything from the Settings folder.

One other thing, that couldn't get to repeat consistently ( 2 out of 3 times ), When I clicked to disconnect the camera, the whole program (Maxim)shut off, No warning labels associated with it.

Attached Files:

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks for the upload. We'll review.

To see what is going on with MaxIm shutting off without a warning, I'd like to get some information from the Windows program called Event Viewer.
    Start the Event Viewer - if you've not run it before, down at the bottom where Windows says: Type here to search, put in Event Viewer and it should find it.

Per the green arrows, select the Windows Logs, expand it to see Application
    Then look down the list in the center for Application Error.
    You'll then see text like in the big green oval that says something like:
    Faulting Application Name: MaxIm_DL.exe
    Faulting Application Module:

Copy and paste that text into your reply.

event_viewer_details.png

This is part of the "fun" of beta software - more work is needed before we can release it to the whole customer base, as there may be a few outstanding items to be resolved.

A possible next step will be to enable Crash Dumps on your machine.
    Am not sure we need to do that yet.
    It's pretty simple, and if you are curious, you can read how to do it here:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.com/threads/how-to-enable-crash-dumps-for-maxim.7464/

20. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Carl, can I do a TeamViewer session with you? This would allow me to remote in quickly to see if I'm right and to fix it.
    I think you've got your two cameras misconfigured, OR something is wrong in the beta.
    Camera 1 should be DL Imaging, Filter Wheel should be DL Imaging + FW.
    Camera 2 should be DL Imaging 2, and that should be set to the SC-2 serial number.