Problem with STC 428 P and the SKY X

Discussion in 'STC Series CMOS' started by Darien Perla, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Darien Perla

Darien Perla Standard User

Hi William,

Thanks a lot for your help I'll give this a shot.

Best,
    Darien

2. Darien Perla

Hi Colin,

A bit off topic but we need to replace the power cable on one of our STC-428p CMOS cameras. Is there an off brand option to buy the power cable on amazon? I was checking the price on diffraction limited and its a bit pricey.

Best,
    Darien

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Darien, can you use [Upload a File] to attach a photo of what you need / what is broken?
    eg there's an AC power cord; the AC adapter "brick" which has about a 3-foot cord with a Kycon 6-pin connector; then there is a DC extension cable that goes from that to the camera.

4. Darien Perla

Hi Collin,

lol I dont have it with me as it is at the observatory. But it is definitely the AC adapter "brick" with the kycon 6 pin connector for the stc 428-p. The DC cable is fin and works still.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you describe the fault? eg does the LED on the brick come on or not?

6. Darien Perla

Simple as the 6 pin kycon is destroyed the pins specifically. So it can't be plugged into the CMOS anymore to supply power.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Oh, so not a warranty situation.
    I'll find out price for just the power supply.

8. Darien Perla

Ok! I was hoping mabey a similar one will be on amazon

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I'm not sure what to tell you - buying knock-off items from Amazon doesn't help tiny businesses like ours stay in business to provide support.
    That said, you could just order a connector and solder it yourself, if the power supply is still good.
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/kycon-inc/KMDLAX-6P/9975989
    I will tell you it is a tricky repair job that requires some skill.

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

These power supplies are customized by the manufacturer to use our specified connector, so you can't buy one on DigiKey or Amazon.

You can order the connector on DigiKey, as Colin suggests... but I can absolutely confirm that assembling it is very, very difficult. It requires care and a surprising amount of strength in your hands. Our guys really hate doing them, which is why we order the power supplies with them already installed!

Also, if you decide to go this route, be sure to test it with the camera detached from the telescope and no other cables connected (especially USB). If the camera doesn't power up, then you've got it wired backwards. If you wire up backwards and power up with USB connected, you will basically connect 12V directly to the USB ground and blow the USB chips on the camera and the computer.