Unusual DARKS with STX 16803

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Abdulrahman Malawi, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Abdulrahman Malawi

Abdulrahman Malawi Standard User

Subject: STX-16803 Camera Malfunction - No Image Output

Dear Support Team,

I am reaching out to report an issue with our STX-16803 camera unit, which has unexpectedly ceased functioning correctly. Despite initially operating without any problems, the camera no longer produces images.

The camera appears to be responsive to software directives; it successfully executes commands to grab and integrate data. The mechanical shutter is operational, and the cooling system is active. However, the output remains uniformly at a single level, irrespective of the duration of the integration time set.

This persistent issue suggests that the camera is not sensitive to incoming light. To troubleshoot, I substituted the primary camera with a tracking camera, but the problem persisted, indicating no variation in output level.

For your reference, I have attached three output files that illustrate the issue:

1. Dark frame output file
    2. Imaging camera output file
    3. Tracking camera output file

I would greatly appreciate your prompt attention to this matter and any guidance you could provide to resolve this issue.

Best regards,
    A. Malawi

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I'll ask my colleague @Tim to assist. He handles repairs.

3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Can you tell me the serial number written on the camera?

Have you tested the camera on a different computer, or with different software such as MaxIm DL, or CCDOps?

4. Jim Gillard

Jim Gillard Standard User

I have now the exact same issue that no matter when type picture is taken (light, dark, Flat Field, Bias) all images come down are around 750. I have the latest drivers and have used multiple PCs and software (TheSkyX, CCDOPS). I will upload a 10 sec image taken on a bench with exposure to light. Image should be washed out.

Right now my camera is a brick. I need to get it repaired.

upload_2024-9-18_10-54-42.png
    upload_2024-9-18_10-55-11.png

upload_2024-9-18_10-55-56.png

Attached Files:

5. Jim Gillard

My camera Model is STX-16803
    S/N: X13030189

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Jim, I'll ask my colleague @Tim to assist.

7. Jim Gillard

Thank you.

8. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You will need to send your camera in so we can test it. My guess is 1 or more components on your analog board have failed. So we will need to do an inspection.

If you would like to send it in, please submit the following RMA contact form and we can begin the return process. Once I receive your form, I can provide you with an RMA number and return instructions.

http://diffractionlimited.com/request-rma