Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud OSX 10.10.1 breaks SBIG Universal Drivers?

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by Ken Sturrock, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Mland

Mland Standard User

Please fix. I have tried the work around but I have banding in my images. Both issues are unacceptable.

Regard, Mike

2. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

May be they are waiting for El Capitan (10.11) to be out !.......
    I think the new management no longer care about OS X and I might just sale my STF-8300M and move to a different brand (FLI has proper OS X support in TheSkyX Pro).

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We're in the process of getting the tools in place to do OS X development in-house.

4. Twobones

Twobones Standard User

Thanks for the update Doug - I just encountered the same problem with my ST-4000. Looking forward to a fix.

BTW - for me at least, if I plug my camera into my Windows machine, the firmware gets downloaded. I can then unplug it from Windows and plug it into my Mac and I can connect to it just fine.

Thanks,
    Dave

5. Twobones

Twobones Standard User

After getting the ST-4000XCM connected (by first connecting to the Windows PC), I see banding in short duration images. This did not happen previously. Someone else is having a similar problem, and has narrowed it down to the SBIG drivers. BTW, this does NOT happen when imaging on Windows. Please see http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/p/23356/107226.aspx#107226 for more details and images.

Is it possible to get the older version (v4.82) drivers? I don't see older versions on the SBIG web site.

Thanks,
    Dave Sandage

6. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Any update on this as 10.11 is being released tomorrow ?
    Rodolphe

7. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

I'm still waiting for Apple to approve our developer status.

8. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

This is usually a matter of days ... not month .. or years ..

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We moved a couple of years ago, and DUNS didn't have the new address. We can't get the developer status until DUNS says so - Apple uses them to confirm that we are legitimately who we say we are. DUNS apparently updates their records on a geological time scale.

10. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Makes sense .. the DUNS is the key to apple kingdom.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Rodolphe

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Just a follow-up, we got past the DUNS stage, but they have new ways to put additional silly roadblocks (more approvals) in the process. Hopefully we'll find our way through the jungle shortly.

12. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

thanks for the update.

13. rlancaste

rlancaste Standard User

Thanks to Ken Sturrock's post to use the "kext-dev-mode=1" mode in OS X Yosemite in a forum on Cloudy Nights, I was able to use my camera in Equinox Image for a couple of years even though the kext was not developer signed. But right after I upgraded to El Capitan, I found out (in the field unfortunately) that the new El Capitan breaks both Ken Sturrock's workaround and the "rootless=0" workaround as well.

After frantically searching the internet for solutions on my phone while under a beautiful sky in the dark at a star party and losing about 2 hours of good sky time, I found out that there is still a supported solution:

If you boot into the recovery partition (hitting option on boot) and you load a terminal window, you can disable SIP protection by typing: csrutil disable if you want to completely disable SIP Protection and csrutil enable --without kext if you want to enable SIP Protection but want to allow Unsigned Kexts. Then reboot your machine and the unsigned SBIG kexts (and any others you have that El Capitan broke) should load.

This solution is not going to work forever, but hopefully should work until the SBIG kexts get signed.

14. Adam Robichaud

This is something I'm working on, for the record — unfortunately, Apple deprecated a crucial library in the SBIG kext, so I'm trying to work around that. Thanks for the info!

15. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Any update ?

16. Adam Robichaud

Redesigns are in progress.

17. Adam Robichaud

Ok I'm looking for people to help me test some new drivers. I need people currently experiencing the unsigned KEXT issue only.

18. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

I can help.

19. Michael OBrine

Michael OBrine Standard User

I can help as well. I'm using an ST-8300M with MacOS 10.11.3. I have to use the "Disable SIP" workaround to get the 8300 to work with my system. With the workaround, it works fine using Nebulosity 4.0.4. I also use an ST-i monochrome with PHD 2.6.1 for guiding.

20. rlancaste

rlancaste Standard User

I can help as well if you like. I am using an ST-8300M as well with the latest Mac OS, 10.11.4. My guide camera is a Monochrome Meade DSI. My system is a Macbook Pro from 2008. Note: I have had to switch to completely disabling SIP because "enabling SIP --without kext" no longer works.

I use Equinox Image 1.16.2 for imaging, Equinox Pro 7.2.2 for mount control, and PHD 2.6.1 for guiding. I also have Nebulosity3, but mainly use that with my DSLR.