Replacement Desiccant Plug for STL11000XM ?

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Stuart Heggie, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Stuart Heggie

Stuart Heggie Standard User

All - is there anyone who knows where I can get a replacement desiccant plug for my new-to-me STL11000XM? I baked it for 5 hours a month ago and got frost again last night. Baking it now. This will get old quickly. I wonder if a new plug would be possible? Or, is there a Particle Wave Technologies solution for the STL series cameras? I am thinking no based on a search but ...

Thanks in advance,
    Stuart

2. Sreilly

Sreilly Cyanogen Customer

Stuart,

Are you sure it's frost and not dew? My STL-11000 has been dewing up on these really humid nights after several hours even though the ota tube fans are running. Just a thought.

Steve

3. Stuart Heggie

Steve, the STL is on my AP155 refractor not on my Planewave. The front of the camera should be protected by the closed tube refractor don't you think?

Thanks for jumping in so quickly on my question!

Stuart

4. Sreilly

Sreilly Cyanogen Customer

Any reason the dew wouldn't be on the front lens?

Steve

5. Stuart Heggie

Steve, great clarification. The pattern I see on the monitor is classic frosting of the chip. Not what is get if it were few on the objective. That pattern is very close to the imaging plane.

Stuart

6. Stuart Heggie

All (or just Steve since he's the only one who chimed in), I sent the camera to Bill Lynch at SBIG in California and he confirmed that the screws holding the cover slip on the ccd chamber were loose. He couldn't say for sure if it was letting moisture in but he said they turned easily. He cleaned up the camera, tightened everything down and tested it before sending it back. His service was excellent!

Stuart

7. Josh Frechem

Josh Frechem Standard User

Good to know! I've been going through rebuilding an old camera and ended up getting a new-to-me stl-1301E and I've been worried there will be something wrong with it after this recent, non-sbig, experience. This will be my first sbig camera so I'm really expecting amazing quality so I'm sure it'll be fine. But, it's nice to know that help is so easily found even for an old camera like these.

Cheers,
    Josh