Autoguider reccomendation?

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Meisters, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Meisters

Meisters Guest

I am attempting to find the best replacement for my current SSAG guide camera. It has been giving me problems the last few months - I think the electronics have gone as it is impossible to get a clear picture.

I would appreciate any recommendations for a new guide camera under US$1000. It would ideally have a shutter to get darks, a standard guiding output to connect directly to my CGEM-DX mount, and with better sensitivity than the SSAG. It should also be completely compatible with Maxim DL so that I can use the dither function. My guidescope is set in an old 4" F5 refractor mounted parallel to the main scope.

I am running Maxim DL 6.09 on Windows 8.1; and my main camera is SBIG STF-8300M.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcomed!

2. Andrei Ioda

Andrei Ioda Cyanogen Customer

I had been using SX Lodestar about one year before i bought SX Lodestar X2. Both work good.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

ST-I of course!

4. Meisters

Meisters Guest

Thanks both for your replies. I considered both these cameras and then decided on a ZWO ASI174MM. I know that it is a bit overkill for guiding, but this way I can also do some planetary work as well as guiding.

5. Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz Cyanogen Customer

The STi is a great little camera and has a shutter (with USB line power attached to the USB hub). . It will also nicely fit into a OAG setup or into any eyepiece holder (attach parfocal rings makes it a cinch).