Mac OSX Yosemite Drivers

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Jamey Erickson, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Jamey Erickson

Jamey Erickson Standard User

About a year ago I upgraded to OSX Yosemite and could no longer use my STF_8300c. I tried reinstalling drivers and nothing would work, I had to ultimately downgrade back to Mavericks. I recently tried upgrading to Yosemite and had the same problem again, requiring a downgrade (which is no small task).

Any idea when we can expect a fix for Yosemite? Would love to upgrade my laptop OS and not fear for the death of my camera.

Thanks

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Jamey, Have you thought about putting boot camp on the Mac so you can run both the latest Windows and the latest Mac OS.

3. Jamey Erickson

Hey Tim, thanks for the response. Sadly, that's not something I'm interested in. Not a Window's guy, nor do I want to invest in it for just this purpose. Part of why I bought this camera was because it would work with Nebulosity on my Mac. Would love to have it work on my mac like it used to, without being stuck on the OS from 2013.

4. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

So I take it Nebulosity will run the camera in an older version of the Mac OS/?

5. Jamey Erickson

Yeah, I worked with Craig when I first discovered the problem assuming it was a Nebulosity issue in Yosemite, but we discovered it's how Yosemite does USB device handling now. I can't explain much more than that, as I'm not a software engineer by any means. I just know that it still works fine in Mavericks, it just stopped working when I upgraded to Yosemite, which I've had to downgrade from (which sadly, is not a fun process, but that's Apple's problem).

6. Thorsten Lockert

Thorsten Lockert Cyanogen Customer

Actually it is a safety/security thing that Apple introduced, where any drivers to be loaded into the kernel must be signed with an approved developer certificate....

There is a way to disable this for Yosemite and earlier, using the command 'sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"' in Terminal, and then rebooting... This may not work the same way in El Capitan, scheduled to be released tomorrow.

The long-term fx for this is for Diffraction / SBIG to release drivers that are properly signed.

Thorsten

7. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

8. Les Varga

Les Varga Standard User

I had posed this same question back on Oct 19,2014. If you read through that string you will find a work around as suggested by Rodolphe. It has been working fine for me all these months but still no signed drivers. I am nervous about updating to OS X El Capitan as a result.

Best Regards,

Les

9. Jamey Erickson

Thanks everyone. Was hoping to not have to monkey around in Terminal, but I'll get someone to help me with that. I'm not a software engineer, so naturally that stuff makes me nervous.

10. Teus Tukker

Teus Tukker Standard User

Last week I updated my Mac and indeed the SBIG driver is not compatible with El Capitan too:

Oct 2 20:29:55 Zernike com.apple.kextd[46]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.sbig.driver.SBIGUSBLoader, will not load
    Oct 2 20:34:48 Zernike com.apple.kextd[46]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.sbig.driver.SBIGUSBLoader, will not load
    Oct 2 20:37:44 Zernike kernel[0]: hfs: mounted SBIGDriverInstallerUniv on device disk2s2
    Oct 2 20:37:44 Zernike mds[62]: (Volume.Normal:2464) volume:0x7fc01a080000 ********** Bootstrapped Creating a default store:1 SpotLoc:(null) SpotVerLoc:(null) occlude:0 /Volumes/SBIGDriverInstallerUniv
    Oct 2 20:38:37 Zernike kernel[0]: hfs: unmount initiated on SBIGDriverInstallerUniv on device disk2s2
    Oct 2 20:38:54 Zernike com.apple.kextd[46]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.sbig.driver.SBIGUSBLoader, will not load
    Oct 2 20:39:08 Zernike deleted[339]: normalizeUserMountpoint:738 volRoot failed for /Volumes/SBIGDriverInstallerUniv

SBIG should sign their driver !

Teus

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Guys, in another thread, they've said they are waiting on Apple Computer to approve their developer status. So, suggest patience. I'm in same boat, but also use Windows.

12. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Run the following command in Terminal.app and reboot :
    sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
    After that the driver will load (this still works on El Capitain (10.11)).
    Rodolphe

13. Teus Tukker

Teus Tukker Standard User

Unfortunately, this did not work on my macbook (El Capitan). Had used it on Yosemite and it worked with both the SBIG and WCH340 driver. Now after the update both drivers failed to load. I found that for the WCH340 there is a signed driver from codeblender! Very nice, works very well. Now we have to wait for SBIG to update theirs. Hope that they speed up as this required signature thing was already necessary on Yosemite (1 year).
    Have to go back to my (very) old laptop with Snow Leopard. Works with Nebulosity 3 and PHD 1.4, but not with openPHD2.5.

14. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

15. Jdaglen

Jdaglen Standard User

I have a MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite. I have downloaded the SBIG drivers for the Mac without difficulty. I can't connect my SBIG ST-8300C to either CCDOps Lite or to SKYX. The error is device not found 30027. I tried the same thing with my wife's MBP running ElCapitan and the same problem. This previous thread talks about unsigned drivers since Oct 2014. Is this still the case? If so, it seems to be an unreasonable length of time to not have supported drivers for the Mac?

16. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

This is still the case. You still need to do all the boot-args trick and disable SIP if you want to use a SBIG camera on OS X El Capitan and Yosemite..
    You might want to have a look there too : http://www.diffractionlimited.com/f...sx-10-10-1-breaks-sbig-universal-drivers.368/
    They are "working" on it ... I'm starting to look at other camera supported in TheSkyX pro as we've been waiting for almost 2 years now ... I feel it's time to speak with our $ and I for one plan on moving to a different brand if this is not fixed fairly soon ( aka in a month or two at most).