White band at the top of the image

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by letteri, Oct 9, 2015.

1. letteri

letteri Standard User

I am occasionally getting a white band at the top of the image as in the attached photo. The image does not appear to be shifted, so it looks like this is happening in the active image area. It only appears intermittently (of course) and other photos in the sequence are fine.

Any ideas what the cause might be?

Cheers,
    Joe

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Can you provide an uncalibrated and unprocessed FITS frame?

3. letteri

letteri Standard User

I attached a crop of the top of the FITS image. The server is not letting me post anything larger even though the full image is only 4.8M. This is uncalibrated and unprocessed except for the crop.

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Hmm... that's a new one. It's actually a "wedge", dark at the top, light at the bottom.

What software did you use to take the exposure (CCDStack rewrote the header when you cropped it)?

I suspect this is a power supply issue of some kind; something "kicked" the power supply as it started the readout and it took a while to restabilize. This may or may not be internal to the camera. Some questions:
    • Are you using a filter wheel? If so, FW8S-STT or FW8G-STT?
    • Are you using an external guide head?
    • Are you using the power supply brick that came with the camera?
    • Are you using an extension cable between the brick and the camera?

5. pfile

pfile Standard User

just as a data point, this used to happen to me occasionally under OS X 10.8 and Equinox Image. FW8G-STT with STT-8300M.

6. letteri

letteri Standard User

1. FW8G-STT
    2. Internal guider
    3. Yes, running at 240v if that makes a difference
    4. Yes, through a Paramount MX and taking power from the Kycon connector on the instrument panel

Also, I am using TheSkyPro Camera add-on for imaging running under Windows 10. I will try to test it with Maxim DL6 to see if that makes a difference.

7. pfile

pfile Standard User

by the way, last night one image i took had this stripe, and now i am using windows, with all the latest firmware and drivers as of yesterday morning, and driving with SGP. i am powering the camera from a pyramid 12V supply which can supply a heck of a lot of current.