Not able to calibrate drive

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by Tim Richmond, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Tim Richmond

Tim Richmond Standard User

I'm using a SBIG remote guide head/mmoag, STX,AOX in conjunction with a Sky controlled, Paramount ME2. When calibrating the drive the guide star is blurred in frames containing RA movement, so I get the error that the guide star is not detected in all frames. Dec movement frames contain round stars with a surrounding box. The remote guide head snaps frames rapidly and I believe the scope is still moving in RA during those frames. During guide star locating the stars are always round,so its not a tracking issue. AOX calibration and guiding works fine. Any ideas or settings I can try?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

How are you sending the commands to the mount; i.e. what is Control Via set to in the Guide tab Settings?

3. Tim Richmond

Telescope

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

So you've enabled the PulseGuide feature in the ASCOM Driver for TheSky, I assume?

Have you made sure to update to the latest version of MaxIm DL? (V6.11)

5. Tim Richmond

I'm using direct guide. Using pulse guide,Maxim DL is unable to move the mount. Its my understanding that pulse guide is for a control wire from the camera to the mount? I have the lastest version of Maxim DL, The Sky, and Ascom software.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No, PulseGuide is via the ASCOM Driver, Telescope option. Direct via the wire would require the Camera Relays setting.

I've not tried DirectGuide myself. I've used PulseGuide extensively in the past - please try it as follows:

Turn on Enable Tracking Offsets and then Enable PulseGuide. Turn OFF Use DirectGuide.

If that works, then at least you'll be up and running; we'd still have to investigate why DirectGuide didn't work properly. If it doesn't work, then that will also be useful information for our investigation. Please let us know either way.

7. Tim Richmond

I'll try pulse guide again, you had me switch to direct guide on another thread to fix issues with the AOX--which worked--but that was a few releases ago. I know pulse guide was not working in the telescope/observatory window with the latest software, when I tried the nudge controls. I'll capture any errors next time.

Do you know of a way to slow down the calibraton images when calibrating the drive--a delay setting would be nice?
    Is Maxim getting a notification that the mount has finished moving before it takes a calibration image?

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There is a delay setting in the Guide tab, but not on the AO control. It shouldn't be necessary.

It's supposed to. Either MaxIm DL is starting the exposure prematurely for some reason, or it's getting notified that the telescope has finished moving prematurely.

Do please make sure you've got the latest release. I believe there was a bug in that area on a previous release.