Luminance Flats deteriorated

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Ron Frisk, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Ron Frisk

Ron Frisk Cyanogen Customer

In the past few months my luminance flats have deteriorated so that I cannot calibrate my raw images any more. Attached is a YouTube video link and I'm hoping someone can help identify what is going on. One colleague suggested that my SBIG self-guiding filter wheel is not returning to the exact home position for the luminance filter. (I'm using an STXL-10002 camera). This prevents my lum raws from "flatting" out dust motes and vignetting. In fact, when I mean combine my lums the most offensive dust mote looks like a 3-D torus. My RGB, Ha, SII and OIII do not do this. Any notion whats happening at the top of the frame with the moving horizontal line? Also included in the video is what the Red filter flats look like which do not exhibit the problem at the top of the Lum frames. Is there some way to re-calibrate the filter wheel or is this a camera problem?

Thanks, Ron

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It would be more informative if you could post a couple of different luminance flat-field frames in FITS format.

3. Ron Frisk

Be glad to Doug - how many do you need?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Start with two very different-looking ones.

5. Ron Frisk

Will do - would you like a master flat as well? Sorry, should have asked in the first place.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No, just raw frames please.

7. Ron Frisk

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

So the flats appear basically normal, except for the top. The dust doughnuts line up perfectly. I don't think there's anything going on with the filter wheel.

That line across the top appears to be light contamination. It's not coming from the camera because a camera artifact would line up with the pixels, and this does not. I'm thinking you have a light leak somewhere. Light is getting into the optical system during your flat field calibration, in some route other than coming in directly through the objective.

9. Ron Frisk

Thanks for getting back to me Doug. Wouldn't it make sense that at least one of my six other filters would show the same artifact? I have done a high intensity light test of my image train and cannot introduce any streaks or reflections. I use the same light panel for all my flats so the workflow is consistent for all. Any idea why the line at the top is angled and not straight as one would expect? I am happy that it's not a camera or filtercwheel problem. I'm still stumped why the dust motes won't flat out if the doughnuts are aligned perfectly - any thoughts on that? I really appreciate your help.

Thanks, Ron

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If there's an offset in level then they won't cancel properly. So any change to the illumination levels will mess up the flat. If the stray light is IR it will go through some filters and not others, so that could possibly explain some of the difference.

The only other thing I could suggest is that you take the camera off and look inside to make sure the filter wheel and shutter are both operating reliably 100% of the time. If the chip isn't being evenly illuminated due to some mechanical shutter/filter wheel issue that might possibly help explain things.

As for sources of stray light, I don't know what your telescope setup looks like so it's hard to comment on that.

11. Ron Frisk

Hi Doug - just to close the loop on this, the moving line at the top of the flats video is shutter shadow caused by using extremely short duration flat exposures. When increased to greater than 1 second, the line disappears.

Thanks for your suggestions above.

Ron

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Ah, okay that makes complete sense. Glad you figured it out.

13. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    Ron, if the short exposure was calculated by ACP's auto-panel-flat, you can control the minimum duration and the panel brightness specifically to avoid shutter vignetting. Post in the Comm Center if you need specifics. It is covered in ACP Help.

14. Ron Frisk

Hi Bob - thanks very much for checking in. I wasn't using ACP at the time and these were manual flats. Is there nothing ACP doesn't do!?!?!?

Thanks again and CS, Ron