SGS Questions

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Peter Bealo, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Peter Bealo

Peter Bealo Standard User

I just purchased an SGS from someone who didn't know this unit's history. It is S/N S0410237.
    1) It only came to me with one slit. How do I determine which it is w/o removing it? Are "spare" slits available for purchase?
    2) The attached camera is an ST-7-XME-S S/N 05033864XME. What does the S mean? Will it act as a standard ST-7 as well?
    3) When were these products made?
    4) Is it possible to get a copy of the spectral analysis S/W?
    5) Will the SGS work with an ST-10 camera?

Best Regards
    Peter Bealo
    Plaistow NH

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm afraid we don't have a lot of information on the SGS, as it was obsoleted a long time ago. Alan Holmes is the expert on all things spectrograph.

I believe the -S means it had the Spectrograph adapter included. See the SGS manual https://www.sbig.com/site/assets/files/18237/sgs_manual3.pdf .

The manual indicates that there is a lever to switch gratings.

Your camera is on the database. It was made in March of 2005. I don't have information on the spectrograph, but is presumably from the same era.

I have looked for the analysis software. It's not on the archive page, but I found an installer called "Spectra", and have uploaded it here: http://www.cyanogen.com/temp/Spectra.zip - please let me know if it that works for you.

The SGS manual only indicates ST-7, ST-8, and ST-9. It may or may not work with the 10. My suspicion is that it will take spectra, but I can't guarantee that the guide chip will be in the correct position.

3. Peter Bealo

Doug,

Thanks for the quick reply. Especially about the S/W link!!

I'll just have to try the ST-10 and see I guess.

Peter

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If the original ST-7 doesn't work, we actually do have one old ST7-XME camera on the shelf. I have no idea why it was never sold back in the day, but we've been holding onto it in case someone needed it for an SGS.

5. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

To file in the "Just so you know" category, the S stood for Standard. There was the ST-7XME-S and the ST-7XME-D. Standard and Deluxe. I think you got some extra Case Candy with the Deluxe version, the camera is the same.

-Bill

6. Peter Bealo

As soon as I finish my taxes this week I'll try and fire it up!
    Peter

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Aha! You've got a good memory Bill. I'd forgotten about the Deluxe package.

8. Peter Bealo

Doug,

I tried to fire up the ST-7-XME-S this weekend without success. No LED, no fan. P/S is fine, it runs my ST-10-XME fine.

So: how about P/Ming me about how much you folks are asking for the NOS ST-7 you have collecting dust?

Peter

9. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Standard User

Sorry to interject. Does anyone know the rulings per mm for the high resolution grating in the SGS? Information is given about the standard resolution grating on pages 2-3 of the documentation listed above but I can't seem to find the same information for the second grating. Many thanks in advance.

10. Petr

Petr Standard User

Hello,
    I have possibility to work with Self guiding spectrograph but I have a custom made telescope on observatory and my teacher is afraid if it will work. Is possiblle to look on some blueprints or machinist plan ?
    Thank you.

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sorry we can't provide any drawings.

12. Petr

Petr Standard User

Ok, and can you at least tel me a distance of focal plane ?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

14. Roy Tucker

Roy Tucker Cyanogen Customer

Hello,
    I recently acquired a second SGS spectrograph and was thinking about equipping it with higher dispersion gratings. Can anyone tell me a source for dimensionally-compatible gratings? I would like to find a 1200 and/or 1800 grating. I wonder if there might be a spare grating carousel sitting on a shelf somewhere?
    Best regards,
    - Roy Tucker