"SBIG Driver: Receive timeout. Error = 30008" .. again

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by rpineau, Apr 17, 2016.

1. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Last night for the first time in a long while I got the dreaded "SBIG Driver: Receive timeout. Error = 30008" (last time I go this was in 2014).
    The camera was connected to a hub on the telescope (Startech). So I tried with a direct connection to my laptop.. still the same (Macbook Pro 15"). As this is a new laptop I pulled back my old laptop and tested with it.. same issue.
    So even when using the original cable directly on a USB port I get this error every other capture (or every 3rd capture).
    I know I'm not the only one and was wondering what other people have done to solve the issue ?
    On the power side I'm using a 30A Powerwerx supply going through a RIGrunner 4008H with a 5A fuse for the camera port. So power is clean and stable.
    Rodolphe

2. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

So some updates:
    Since the post above, I've update both firmwares :

stf-8300usb.bf2 2.45 -> 2.48
    stf-8300ga.bf2 2.16 -> 2.18

I've been running test all evening with my camera on my CFF RC250 in the house with all convers on, so very little light gets in so I can see something being acquired but not to saturate.
    No issue over 60 frames or so (mix of 300, 120 and 30 seconds). then in the middle of the sequence, I take the Lycra cover off and shine a flash light in the tube towards the camera to get a fully saturated frame.
    Bingo !!! "SBIG Driver: Receive timeout. Error = 30008" . At that point the camera need to be power cycled.

I re-tested a few times : power cycle, take 30 second with all cache on, no issue, take 30 seconds exposure with flash light, Error = 30008
    This is 100% reproducible.
    I tested with shorter acquisition length but as soon as there are too many saturated pixel I get this error.

This points towards a firmware or driver issue when there is too many saturated pixels in the frame.
    As this can be easily reproduced I hope you guys can find a fix either in the firmware or the driver.

Rodolphe

3. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Any chance of a driver or firmware fix for this ?
    Right now I'm pretty much dead in the water because of this issue.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Which driver versions do you have installed? Can you send a screenshot of your SBIG Driver Checker 64 window?

5. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Hello Tim.
    I'm using OS X, not Windows... so no "SBIG Driver Checker 64" here.
    The OS X drivers are version 4.82 ( from ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/devsw/SBIGDriverInstallerUniv.dmg ).

I've tested on Yosemite and El Capitan. Same result on both

Rodolphe

6. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

I've recreated the issue in house. We'll keep you posted when we have a solution.

7. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Thanks
    Adam, I tested with the original from the download as well as with the signed one for El Capitan (same version from what you told me, only change was the signature part).
    Rodolphe

8. Adam Robichaud

This is system-wide — it's present on Windows as well — so it narrows things down a bit.

9. Adam Robichaud

Some further tests revealed that the issue I was seeing in Windows was something else. When I tried to reproduce the issue on my OSX development machine, I encountered the infamous untrusted developers issue. Fortunately, my nightly build seems to have corrected the issue. With some testing, I'll make the release available to the general public.

10. mckechg

mckechg Standard User

Morning All,

New to SBIG and very happy. However I am now suffering this same issue. This has only started since I moved to a new laptop (sick of el capitan and moved back to Yosemite).

OSX 10.10.15 (early 2015 mac book pro)
    TSX Build 9332

Do you have a time frame on the new driver to be available?

thx
    G./

11. Adam Robichaud

Things are looking good for a release once I hammer out some distribution issues, hopefully within the week.

12. mckechg

mckechg Standard User

Bump - Clear Skies and I can't use my cam... Any progress.

13. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

So while redoing my dark frame library I got the same error again (RX Timeout (30008)Error). Camera is connected directly to the laptop (no hub), set to -10ºC, 600 seconds.
    So this is not just a problem when there is a USB Hub.
    This render the camera unusable as I can't just start a series and walk away. I have to baby-seat the while process and power cycle the camera each time !

14. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Anybody ? Any chance to get an actual fix to this one days as right now I can't even use the camera.

15. micv

micv Standard User

hi,
    i have very similar issue with sti cam , error code 30007 with skyx , or 1007 with ccdsoft...
    i hope sbig find something about this soon.
    regards

16. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Any update of fixing this issue as I also see it when the camera is directly connected to the computer.