SBIG Osaris 8050

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by John Wetmore, Sep 17, 2016.

1. John Wetmore

John Wetmore Standard User

I have acquired a SBIG Osaris 8050 camera attached to a AO-X. This camera will not recognize any SBIG drivers and Windows OS both XP and Win7 indicate device has failed. An Internet search has come up empty on this particular model.

Any insight into this camera would be greatly appreciated.

John

Attached Files:

2. John Wetmore

I have acquired a SBIG Osaris 8050 camera attached to a AO-X. This camera will not recognize any SBIG drivers and Windows OS both XP and Win7 indicate device has failed. An Internet search has come up empty on this particular model.

Any insight into this camera would be greatly appreciated.

John

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The OSIRIS-8050 (there's a typo on the model label!) is the OEM version of the STF-8050:

https://www.sbig.com/products/cameras/stf-series/stf-8050-1/stf-8050/

In this particular case, there are very few differences between the STF and the OEM version. Basically the OSIRIS version doesn't include power supply, adapters, case, etc.

Based on the limited records we have from the old SBIG company, this one appears to be a demo unit. It was built in August 2013. The device it is attached to, model DU-2, appears to be some kind of prototype device derived from the AO-X. We don't have any records about that.

There have been major design changes to the STF-8050 since then. My recommendation is to replace the main circuit card. If you would like to get a quotation, please contact Bill @ service.

4. John Wetmore

Doug,

Thanks for the fast reply. Interesting. So can I possibly use the DU-2 as a AO-X?

I will contact Bill at repair, I have been speaking with him and he indicated to hit this board first. Great guy, supported many SBIG cams for me over the years.

John

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No idea about the AO. It might work, though from the pic I saw it was modified with a smaller diameter window, so it definitely won't work with the camera it was originally designed for. Might be too small for an off-axis guider, so even if it works it may not be very useful.

There could be other modifications. You'll just have to try it. If it doesn't work then it probably would not be economically worthwhile to try and refurbish it.

6. John Wetmore

Doug,

Thanks for the fast replies. I appreciate the information and this is why I purchase SBIG cams and peripherals. Look forward to new products from Diffraction Limited.

John