Access Denied Error

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by jim collins, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Gerald R Miller

Gerald R Miller Standard User

Both the driver and the firmware. The SBIGUDrv.dll was dated 9/23/2014, and the firmware was dated 6/25/2013. These two had the timeout issue. The current SBIGUDrv.dll and firmware had the access denied issue. I had these on an older laptop that I no longer used. I suspect the SBIGDrv.dll is where the issue is because the firmware hadn't changed that recently and the problem started after the Aug 4, 2016 release.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Gerald R Miller

Is there any update on this? Okie-Tex is coming up and I'd sure like to have this resolved before then.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Not yet, the guys are working on it.

4. Owen Lawrence

Owen Lawrence Retired Staff

Hi All,

Are you able to tell what command was being executed when "Access Denied" was reported? The log line you provided is a little thin on context.

When you run SBIGDriverChecker64 to perform updates, please be sure to run it as administrator. We want to ensure that SBIGUDrv.dll ends up in the right place with the right permissions.

One other possibility is that it (that DLL) is trying to log messages in a file it cannot access. Can you please run SBIGDriverChecker64, click [Debug Log], and check if any checkboxes are enabled for logging commands? If so, clear them all. As well, verify that the "Log File Path Name" is definitely accessible.

- Owen -

5. Gerald R Miller

"Are you able to tell what command was being executed when "Access Denied" was reported? The log line you provided is a little thin on context."

The error occurs during an autoguiding, and during a time a long exposure is being made. No commands were or should have been made other than then normal read/writes of the autoguider when the error occurs.

"When you run SBIGDriverChecker64 to perform updates, please be sure to run it as administrator. We want to ensure that SBIGUDrv.dll ends up in the right place with the right permissions."

I am logged on as the administrator, so it should already be run in that mode, but I will check the box to make it run in that mode in the properties settings as well.

"One other possibility is that it (that DLL) is trying to log messages in a file it cannot access. Can you please run SBIGDriverChecker64, click [Debug Log], and check if any checkboxes are enabled for logging commands? If so, clear them all. As well, verify that the "Log File Path Name" is definitely accessible."

Never used this feature, so whatever the default settings is what that are. All check boxes are off, and default path is "-RXv" whatever that is.

Note, Owen, that with the earlier driver, the error is a SBIG timeout error, not an access denied error. It may be the same issue, but a different message (or perhaps, it time's out because it cannot access a file with the earlier driver, and correctly displays the error with the later driver. In any event, neither driver works correctly.

Hope that helps.

Gerald

6. Owen Lawrence

Gerald, I think that "-RXv" is uninitialized garbage. Just to be safe, please return to that dialog and set that path to something like

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\SBIG\TestDriver\sbig_driver_log.txt ​

by clicking the [Set Path] button.

In the meantime, please see Adam's post regarding a test version. Hopefully this will move us a step closer to solving the problem. Apparently the error message "Tx Timeout" is misleading, so some changes have been made to report errors in better detail.

Thanks.

- Owen -

7. Gerald R Miller

The link says I don't have the privilege to view Adam's post. Can you post it here?

8. Owen Lawrence

Sorry. Here it is:

We have identified a potential issue in SBIGUDrv that may be the root cause of some Tx Timeouts recently reported, but have been unable to reproduce the issue in-house. If you're experiencing regular Tx Timeouts when using your SBIG cameras in any program (MaxIm DL, CCDOps, The Sky X, etc), then we're looking for beta tester to help us identify the root cause, and test potential fixes.

We'll be providing users with a special version of SBIGUDrv with increased logging features, and requesting logs which capture Tx Timeouts. Because this first driver is strictly for creating logs, we ask that you only apply if you are able to reproduce the issue reliably, and repeatably. Anyone able to run on a daily basis will be given priority.

If you are able to participate in the tests, please leave a message below and I'll get in touch with an updated copy of SBIGUDrv, and instructions
    I'll make sure he checks for requests here, too.

- Owen -

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I moved it to the SBIG area. You should be able to see it now.

10. jim collins

jim collins Standard User

Hi Owen,
    Gerald will not be able to test.......bad weather. I would like to give it a shot.....can you send me the test Driver and instructions.
    Email: jimstar11gps@yahoo.com
    I would like to test it tonight.

JIM

11. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

I've released a new version of SBIGUDrv (available via SBIG Driver Checker 64) which has increased logging capabilities. If you would like to do the test, you can update your drivers, and collect a few logs for us.

For details on collecting logs, if you've never done it before, I've prepared a document available here: https://arobicha.gitbooks.io/sbigudrv/content/collecting-driver-logs.html

Please forward me any logs you collect demonstrating the issue (You can zip the log files and upload them directly here).

Cheers,
    -A

12. Tim Carruthers

Tim Carruthers Cyanogen Customer

Hi,
    Last night I tried the new driver with logging turned on. I am using a STX16803 with remote guide head. I got this error very early on with each attempt to image last night.

21:25:36 I:TI1, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1: A Camera command is already in progress. Error = 120.
    21:25:36 Sending email (100 sec. timeout)...
    21:25:46 Sent message: Take image failed. Send successful
    21:25:46 Plate solve failed
    21:47:27

I am troubleshooting both the timeout errors and the Access is Denied Error.

I have attached the SBIG log.

Thanks,
    Tim

Attached Files:

13. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately that log didn't capture an error. Are you sure you have all the checkboxes in your "Configure Debug Logging" window checked?

Cheers,
    -Adam

14. Tim Carruthers

Tim Carruthers Cyanogen Customer

Hi Adam,
    I see I only had the errors for ST-i checked...., but I am using a STX remote guide head, I will check all or check for the STX as well, I guess and see if I capture anything. Sorry.
    Regards,
    Tim

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Right, the remote head may look kinda like an ST-I, but it isn't! You need the STX check boxes.