Staff Assigned: Tim Darks and Bias flawed

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by francois, Feb 26, 2017.

1. francois

francois Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

I attempted to take dark and bias frames but my STT8300M is not producing the correct type of files.

Please look up the attached samples and let me know how to fix this issue.

Thanks

Francois

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

They look like the images are intact, however, both bias and darks are saturated. Please ensure you have RBI pre-flash turned off.

Please zip and send us your "Settings" folder located in "My Documents/MaxIm DL 6", so we may see what options you have set.

3. francois

Hello Tim
    I do have RBI pre-flash turned off, and indeed it looks like the images are saturated.
    Please find here attached the "settings" folder.
    Thanks
    Francois

Attached Files:

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Can I assume the camera is completely covered/dark? If it is, my next guess would be there is a problem with the CCD offset and it will need to be adjusted. If the offset needs adjustment, it may be possible for us to complete the process remotely.

5. francois

Hello Tim,

Indeed, the camera was in full darkness, outside at night.
    Please elaborate on how to adjust the offset remotely. Can this be done very soon?

Thanks

François

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Can you tell me the serial number for this camera?

7. francois

T15080728

8. Tim

Tim Staff Member

9. francois

Hello Tim,

I followed the first couple of steps indicated in the post you provided the link for but after clicking the tiny blank button in the top right corner of the CCDOps Preferences box, there was no "Show Advanced Menu" checkbox available (see below):

upload_2017-3-1_10-50-10.png

Here is the CCDOps version I'm using:
    upload_2017-3-1_10-56-23.png

I updated thru the Driver Checker and all seemed to be current.

In addition, CCDOps does not connect to the camera. I am getting this message:

upload_2017-3-1_11-1-29.png

Even though I have the Graphic/Comm Setup right as shown below:
    upload_2017-3-1_11-2-27.png

Please advise.

Thanks

Francois

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Francois, go download the current version of CCDops (I think it is 5.57).

11. francois

Thanks Colin. I did update to the latest version and could follow all the steps indicated in the link provided.
    HOWEVER, this did not solve the issue.

Tim,
    Below is a screenshot of the CCDOps window after reading the offset:

upload_2017-3-1_15-45-19.png

Attached one dark and one bias frames taken after "writing to EPROM" and power cycling the camera. They still show saturation.

What can I do now?

Francois

Attached Files:

12. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Are light frames also saturated?

13. francois

No.
    Light frames are fine.

François

14. Tim

Tim Staff Member

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Was it working previously, then stopped? Has anything changed?

Can you confirm which version of firmware you have installed?

15. francois

Indeed, it does not make sense (see attached light, dark and bias frames taken within 5 minutes of each other).
    Nothing has changed at all: one day it worked fine, the next it did not.
    Firmware is 2.58 (see camera info below)

upload_2017-3-2_5-16-17.png

In addition, the isue of power connectivity, object of exchanges with Bill Lynch back in October has returned!!
    I shipped the camera to him then and it was determined that the issue was with a power adapter cord, that was replaced, and all worked fine until today when the connectivity is lost again now. I must play with the connector by hand in order to keep power connectivity.

Francois

Attached Files:

16. Tim

Tim Staff Member

It looks like you are running older firmware. You could try updating with the SBIGDriverChecker64.

Regarding the power issue, check the shunt inside the power connector on the camera and ensure it has not flattened out from moving around.

17. francois

Hello Tim,

I upgraded the firmware to 2.63 which seems to have resolved the darks and bias issue! (see attached samples)
    I have taken multiple series of dark, bias and light frames and they all seem fine, so thank you for the final advice.
    One question however: when checking for firmware update, a message appears that says that only upon direction from Tech support should one upgrade the firmware. So then does one have to contact you if one sees that their firmware is not up to date?

Regarding the power connection, I've split the shunt inside the connector on the camera (see attached picture) which helped a bit but did not resolve the issue (I split it as much as possible to allow the power cord to fit in). Power connection is fine in certain positions but not always as shown on the attached short video. The power cord is new (shipped a couple of months ago by Bill) and I have only disassembled the power connector maybe 3 or 4 times in the interim (I have a small observatory in my backyard and don't need to move my rig). I shipped the camera back in last October and Bill inspected it and found nothing wrong with it so it does not seems to be a camera issue. Maybe I'm just not lucky with power cords...

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Francois

Attached Files:

18. Tim

Tim Staff Member

No, we simply recommend that you contact us for details if you are not familiar or comfortable with updating firmware since it carries the risk of bricking the camera if there is an issue, but it is not required.

The "shunt" is not the center pin on the power connector, but rather the flat metal portion inside the connector. See attached.

ekembhiggnccfbdi.jpg

19. francois

Hi Tim,

I had never noticed this flat metal piece before... I worked on it and ensured that the center pin is well separated and it seems to be fine now.
    However, I must admit that I'm finding this connection a little fragile because I had only plugged/unplugged the connector less than 10 times before it started to loose connectivity.
    I never experienced this issue with my ST2000, ST10 and STL11000 that I owned prior to this STT8300...

Am I the only one reporting this? Is there a way to upgrade this connection?

Thanks

François

20. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Currently, yes. This is not a common issue. If you would like to send it to Bill, we can see if we can have the connector replaced.