11002 Weird Happenings - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Richard Asarisi, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Richard Asarisi

Richard Asarisi Cyanogen Customer

About a week ago my 11002 with 8FW + guider started throwing 30006 errors in The Sky X. I could connect to it fine with the driver check program and Maxim DL. But it's just been acting weird, I thought it was the latest release of TSX that was causing the issue but even when I dropped back to an known working version it gave me issues. Mostly when I try to connect to it upon start up from TSX it gives the 30006 errors, and it never does connect. So I connect from Maxim and it works, connect to the filter wheel and it works too, however while doing a filter change operation it gave an error in Maxim, never saw that before, but it did change the filter.
    I took the camera inside and connected it directly to my pc, that's when I noticed that when it powers on the fan comes on and does it's reset thing, but the filter wheel didn't do its initialization thing. Try to connect from TSX 30006 error. Interesting about 20 sec later the filter wheel initialized and i could connect from TSX. I just did some general testing making sure I could take an exposure, download it and so on, when all of a sudden the filter wheel initialized again for no reason. Initialized = it moves the wheel in some direction then goes back to the selected filter.
    In the house, I'm using a different power supply then out at the scope and a different usb cable. I opened the filter wheel and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. To me, it sounds like a firmware or cold solder joint issue, but heck it worked fine for 14 months.
    Any ideas?

2. Richard Asarisi

So here is an update, with the 11002 indoors now for at least the last 20hrs - all I did was replace the HDMI cable between the camera and the filter wheel. All seems to be working perfectly. So 50/50 shot it's either the cable or humidity/heat related.

3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

What was the error message?

4. Richard Asarisi

I don't specifically recall I was in the camera window and I saw error pop up in the information when I asked it to change filters. It was there for a second then gone and it did change to the correct filter.

5. Tim

Tim Staff Member

An error in the information window?? Are you using a beta version of MaxIm DL?

If you open the "Log Window" in MaxIm DL, found under the "View" menu, is the error message listed? If not, try right-clicking inside the Log Window, and select "Debug Logging" from the context menu, and try to reproduce the error message to see if can get more details.

6. Richard Asarisi

It would make sense that the error was 6 just like 30006 thanks I'm new to Maxim
    didn't connect the first time then it did the next.

Connected to camera 1 "SBIG Universal" (CCDPlugSBIG.dll)
    Failed to connect to filter wheel 1 "SBIG Universal" (CCDPlugSBIG.dll), error 6
    Connected to filter wheel 2 "SBIG Universal" (CCDPlugSBIG.dll)
    Disconnected from filter wheel 2 "SBIG Universal"
    Disconnected from camera 1 "SBIG Universal"
    Connected to camera 1 "SBIG Universal" (CCDPlugSBIG.dll)
    Connected to filter wheel 1 "SBIG Universal" (CCDPlugSBIG.dll)
    Connected to filter wheel 2 "SBIG Universal" (CCDPlugSBIG.dll)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Software Bisque error codes that are 30000's are just passing through the camera driver error with 30000 added to it. e.g. if the underlying error was 123, you'd get 30123.
    Bisque's own error codes with the cameras tend to be 200's.

8. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Could you turn on "Debug Log" in the SBIGDriverChecker64 software? On the "Configure Debug Logger" window, click the "All" button, and then "Set Path" for where the log file will be. Next, reproduce the issue to log the problem and send us the resulting log file.

9. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Cyanogen Customer

The HDMI cable between the camera and filter wheel has had a history of being bad. I went through the same thing with my camera. I bought a short HDMI cable and also on amazon I bought a 90 degree adapter to take stress out of the physical connection between the camera and filter wheel. I haven't had a problem since.

10. Richard Asarisi

Thanks Dan it does indeed seem to be related to the connection of the HDMI cable, if the intermittent errors happen I unplug the HMDI cable on both ends and plug it back in again, problem solved.