Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud OSX 10.10.1 breaks SBIG Universal Drivers?

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by Ken Sturrock, Dec 19, 2014.

1. rpineau

rpineau Standard User

Most of my gear are working fine (see the non exhaustive list in my signature), except for the recurring error 3008 which is also still not fixed. So no driver update and still no proper solution for this 30008 error makes me want to move on to a different brand. I'm a software and hardware developer so I know there are bugs and issues... but this should never have take so long and the ongoing deafening silence on these issue is enough for me to move one after being patient enough (I even tested the newer signed drivers for them and pointed out the few packaging issues and still they haven't release them).
    So now I'm moving on to a new vendor that replies quickly to issues, put out update on regular basis and is really committed to OS X support (and other OSes).

2. Brian Hill

Brian Hill Standard User

The download size of SBIGUDrv.framework.zip is 304 bytes, which is already suspicious, and sure enough, upon downloading and unzipping it, it contains a single subdirectory "Versions" which is itself empty.

Stringing people along waiting for updated drivers is an unimpressive way to let a $7,000 camera and filter wheel combination reach end-of-life. It would be better to just say to your customers "your camera is more than 10 years old, get a new one," which I am now doing -- a relatively inexpensive ZWO ASI 1600.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  3. Ayman Altounji

Ayman Altounji Standard User

Any update on Sierra Drivers update?

4. DonTaylor

DonTaylor Standard User

Wow! This is shocking! I've owned SBIG equipment for over 15 years and have had nothing but the BEST experience with service and repairs. They can make some of the most sophisticated cameras ever offered to the public but when it come to writing a bit code and jumping through some Apple hoops, it all falls apart. What a shame. And as far as I can tell the shame is all on SBIG/Diffraction Limited. While it would be upsetting to hear that the company has decided not to devote resources to this issue and effectivily leave a devoted segment of its customer base unsupported. In my opinion, it's a far colder slap in the face to simple turn their backs and offer only deafening silence. I'll say it again, shame on you SBIG/Diffraction Limited. Shame on you!

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We're not turning our backs on it; far from it. We just keep running into brick walls. The drivers are working except for an installation issue that we've not been able to figure out.

We have a lead right now and Adam is following up on it.

Bill likes this.
  6. DonTaylor

DonTaylor Standard User

Thank you for your reply Doug. I'm sure it will put many owners at ease knowing that this is getting some attention. There seemed to be and incredibly long delay without any updates on the situation. I know that I felt abandoned, I'll bet others did too. So again, thank you for your response and thank you (and Adam) for not giving up on this. (Because I love my STL11000!)
    And and a side note, I have disabled SIP on my Mac and the drivers work perfectly. But this is not a condition I want to continue to operate under and I understand the next macOS (10.13) is due to be announce in June with general release in 4Q2017. Hopefully that does not hinder the work on the drivers or break the "disable SIP" workaround.

7. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

On the topic of brick walls, here's a rough status update of where we stand. I've got a signed installer that should get users of STT, STF, ST-i, and STX/STXL users up and running again, but I'm still working on the USB Bootloader for older USB model cameras (e.g. STL, and ST-2k).

If anyone would like to try a beta test (for STT, STF, ST-i, and STX/STXL cameras ONLY), you can download the latest installer here.

As for our customers with ST-2k, STL, and older cameras, we're still actively working on the problem, and hope we can resolve it very soon. Fixing the SBIGUSBLoader kernel extension is (we hope) the last piece of the puzzle.

We thank you again for your continuing patience with us while we resolve these outstanding issues.

Bob Cornect likes this.
  8. Twobones

Twobones Standard User

Thanks so much for the update. It's getting to the point now where some of my other SW is forcing me to update from Yosemite and I've been holding out since I don't want to lose the ability to do imaging.

9. Bob Cornect

Bob Cornect Standard User

Guys any update on getting the ST-8300C working on a mac with Sierra OS?
    Sorry if I missed the post somewhere.
    Cheers
    Bob

10. rlancaste

rlancaste Standard User

Yes, I would like an update on this too if possible!

11. Adam Robichaud

We haven't forgotten about you — we're just swamped, so things are moving slowly. We're still investigating the required permissions for KEXTs, and playing email tag with support.

12. Bob Cornect

Bob Cornect Standard User

no worries thanx for the update.
    Will check again in another fewmonths
    cheers
    Bob

13. Jeff Crilly

Jeff Crilly Standard User

Is the ST-8300m driver working on Mac-OS? (or is that part of the "older" cameras?)
    (I'm unclear about the "works for STT, STF, ST-i, STX/XL", but not "ST-2k, STL, and older": I thought the ST-8300 was "relatively" new.. at least (iirc much) newer than the ST-2k.)

Am curious on the status. thx.

-jeff

14. Adam Robichaud

Long story short, not yet on newer versions of OSX.

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

And in the never ending race, Mac OS 10.13 came out a few days ago.

16. Jamey Erickson

Jamey Erickson Standard User

Ah! Just found this thread. Looks like after 3 years of waiting to use my camera, I'm finally going to have to purchase a different brand. Sad I only got a year's worth of use out of my ST-8300c. Such a shame. I really loved it.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a comparable camera that will work on a Mac? I'm looking at the ZWO ASI stuff. Seems nice.

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I have a ZWO ASI, and support is very limited/non existent on Mac, and they are supposedly re-writing their drivers. The cameras are cheap, fast, but no shutter and aren't science grade. A neighbour has a new ASI1600 and likes it, but had grumbled about ASCOM driver issues under windows.
    At the end of the day, Apple keeps changing the operating system(s), security, and drivers have to be written and rewritten. It's got to be frustrating for anybody trying to get their hardware to work.

That said, an update from Adam would be helpful.

18. Chris Duston

Chris Duston Standard User

We just updated our Mac to OS 10.13.1, and our ST-402 and ST-10 stopped working. Our ST-i seems to work fine. I tried to disable SIP as a possible workaround, with no success.

Has any progress been made? Is there another workaround out there besides simply disabling SIP?

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Chris, I'm another customer. If I get a chance, I will try my Mac with a couple of the cameras I own.
    MacOS High Sierra has been to 10.13.2. Have you tried it? A friend had issues with certain older USB devices not working right under earlier MacOS releases (post 10.12). He said it is working better with 10.13.2.
    Not sure that the real issue has been addressed, and not sure where Diffraction Limited is at with Certified drivers.

20. rlancaste

rlancaste Standard User

Yes Jamey, I would still like to see them fix this as well! After your message today I tried the installer Adam posted above again, but it didn't work for my ST-8300M, which I think he said in his post. My SBIG ST-8300M still works very well connected to my Raspberry Pi, using KStars to control it from my Mac over wifi or Ethernet, but it does not work with any program directly connected to my Mac.

Colin, you mentioned ZWO, the ZWO INDI driver is working very well currently on my Mac natively. Of course it also works from the Raspberry Pi, but my ZWO camera currently has no problems running directly on my Mac.