Resolved A nut fell out of ? the camera

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Brack, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Brack

Brack Standard User

Hi Doug

I took off my AO-X as had problems with back focus with that and the off axis guider on at the same time.

Anyway I went to reattach the STX16803/ Filter wheel FW7-STX/off axis guider and a nut fell to the ground and am unsure where it has come from and hope it is not vital or needed!

The camera seemed to be working okay, however am about to try operating it remotely and wasn't sure if will be okay to use.

Have attached a photo. Any ideas what it is?

Peter

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There are no nuts in the AO-X and FW7-STX.

There are two 4-40 nuts and four 2-56 nuts in the STX shutter mechanism. But that picture doesn't look like either of those. Which is a good thing!

A little hard to tell without scale, but to me that looks like the type of nut used to hold a panel switch. Are you sure it came from the camera assembly?

3. Brack

Brack Standard User

I think it is 8-10mm diameter or thereabouts. I can’t be certain it came from camera etc but that was what I was holding when I heard the ping as it hit the floor, it didn’t see it falling or where from. Anyway camera seems to work okay. Although my telescope control system has lost Com contact last night so unsure if it to do with that . I had USB contact through Com 7 and then it went dead and I can’t reconnect . Unsure if this is related in any way, just thought to mention

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It could also be the kind of nut for a coaxial power jack, like used to power a mount or cooling fans or that sort of thing.

5. Brack

Brack Standard User

True Colin. Wondering if that is why the TCS hardware is now not working. I had it fixed Colin as it was found to be faulty, for the Alluna. I got it working over the weekend but using it remotely I lost contact with it. I had thought it was a COM problem but I now suspect the power lead has come off at either end as I have a camera with a microphone and I cant hear it being turned on. Maybe this nut has something to to with it!

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Definitely don't have an 8-10 mm nut anywhere in the camera hardware.

I'm going to mark this as resolved.

Hopefully your mount problem is something simple, like the power jack falling out because the nut was missing...