STX-11002 no longer connecting via USB

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Jeffrey Larsen, Sep 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jeffrey Larsen

Jeffrey Larsen Cyanogen Customer

The Windows 10 device manager clearly shows the device is connected to the PC and it sees no issues.

The driver checker shows the drivers are up to date as of this morning.

Neither MaximDL or CCDOps can successfully connect to the camera. The CCDOps error message upon "Control-K" is "No camera can be found. Please make sure that it is connected to the correct port and that the Graphics/Comm Setup command on the Misc menu is setup correctly."

The normally lit green and red LED's on the side of the camera are lit.

This camera has worked fine with the setup for three years now so this is not a configuration issue. The only operational abnormality has been a long period of high heat/humidity. The camera is normally kept attached to the telescope.

I have moved it indoors to climate control, wondering if humidity got somewhere it is not supposed to go.

2. Jeffrey Larsen

One more bit of information though. On the Device Manager driver entry for the camera under the Events Tab there is a cryptic message that says Device USB\XXXX&PID\YYYYY requires further installation where XXXX and YYYYY are alphabet soup. This computer is administered by a central agency so it is highly likely system updates have been applied. This may not be relevant to my problem, however, since I also connected the camera to my personal laptop which is not controlled by anyone else and got the exact same message just with different alphabet soup.

3. Jeffrey Larsen

A bit more of the story. Most of the three years was under Windows 7 on a different PC. Was forced into Windows 10 this summer and got a new PC as well. Camera has been used to do a mount model for the telescope using PointXP with no problems.

We have a CFW-8 filter wheel, though I removed it to simplify the debugging.

DriverChecker64 also reports it cannot connect to the camera when I ask for the firmware level.

As of a few minutes ago CCDOps now simply crashes rather than displaying the error message I first posted. This is not using the original computer, but instead in my office. I am disturbed by the change in behavior...

4. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Jeffrey, would you be able to demo the issue over TeamViewer? If so, please send me your ID and Password via private message.

5. Jeffrey Larsen

Hi Adam,

Yes I would (hopefully). The business network is rough on stuff like that but I will set it up and let's see what happens. Worst comes to worst I will take it home!

Jeffrey

6. Jeffrey Larsen

Hi Adam,

My parent institution apparently blocks TeamViewer. I can use a personal laptop on my home network. When I can set it up I will let you know. Are there preferred hours for you?

Incidentally one of my colleagues tried to set the camera up under a Mac. The Mac would not even see the USB connection to the camera. I'm kinda afraid it's major.

Cheers,

Jeff

7. Adam Robichaud

The STXL-11002 should function with the latest OSX framework — I'm in 9-5 EST on weekdays, but I can schedule an off-hours call if that's the only time available to you.

-A

8. Jeffrey Larsen

I would be available all weekend. If you're busy its fine but I have added a bit of information. It recognizes the USB device but I cannot link even enough to query the firmware version. I guess that I need to know if its going to need to be sent in. Failing the weekend we could do Monday afternoon.

Thanks for everything!

Jeff

9. Adam Robichaud

How about 1 pm EST Sunday afternoon?

10. Adam Robichaud

For what it's worth, it may be possible to recover from this without sending it in. I just need to run some diagnostics to determine whether the failure is a hardware failure (which would require service) or a software failure (which we can fix remotely).

11. Jeffrey Larsen

1 PM Sunday is great. I am on EDT right now though, so I just want to be perfectly clear. Are we talking 5 PM or 6 PM UTC?

12. Adam Robichaud

Sorry — we're in the same timezone, I meant 1 PM ET, which would currently be 5PM UTC because of daylight savings time.

13. Jeffrey Larsen

Thank you so much! We're using it in classes and the ST-10 that we replaced will make for a poor camera on a CDK20! :)

I will have the software ready to go and will post when ready. I'll PM the access codes and my phone number.

Jeff

14. Adam Robichaud

I've penciled you in. Talk to you then!