AO-8 and mount updates

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Jenny Hatchell, Oct 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jenny Hatchell

Jenny Hatchell Standard User

When we are using the SBIG w/AO driver, we are finding that the mount position fails to update regularly in MaxIm. We're running a STT with AO-8 and an Astrophysics 1100 mount. The symptoms are that after a slew or cursor-key adjustment the 'bullseye' on the sky map stays on the previous position and the cursor-keys remain greyed out. There's also a delay in the dome following (it's getting the old positions) that can lead to weird dome oscillations. We can (usually) force the position to update by right-clicking with the mouse on the latest image displayed in the main MaxIm window. We don't get this behaviour if we drive the same camera with the SBIG Universal driver (but then we lose the guiding / AO). Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That sounds very odd; the two things should not be related to each other in any way. Can you connect the ASCOM PIPE utility between MaxIm DL and the telescope mount driver, in order to monitor communications between the two programs? This should indicate if the messages are somehow being "choked off".

Also please be sure to register for MaxIm DL software technical support, following Step 2 as described at http://forum.diffractionlimited.com/pages/TechSupportHowTo/

3. Jenny Hatchell

Thanks for getting back quickly. Do you mean the “Pipe diagnostic tool” in the ASCOM Telescope Chooser? At the moment it is giving “Failed to load driver…” errors. Where can I find more info on how to set this up?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

See Start menu, ASCOM Platform 6, Pipe Help.

5. Jenny Hatchell

OK. Here is what I did and the diagnostic.
    (1) put the Pipe in place, set check-boxes to report Slews, Syncs... and Get: Alt/Az..., connected it to the AstroPhysics mount
    (2) Maxim setup, selected the Pipe as Telescope and connected;
    (3) unpark (from Park 3 = Polaris)
    (4) slew to Arcturus.

In the Pipe report, the coordinates initially reflect the Park position on Polaris. Then the Pipe report stops updating after

SlewToCoordinatesAsync:
    RA 14:16:33
    Dec +19:06:01:
    [initiated]
    RightAscension 11:01:07
    Declination: +89:59:54

i.e. it stops reporting at the park position (Polaris) coordinates. The map bullseye also stays on Polaris. However, the AstroPhysics Mount Status coordinates update throughout the slew to reach the position of Arcturus. So the mount position information is reaching the PC at least.

Mouse-right-button menu on the MaxIm sky map immediately produced a string of coordinate updates in the Pipe window - all Arcturus coords - and the bullseye jumped to Arcturus. The AstroPhysics Mount Status coordinates stayed on Arcturus (where they were already)

In general, the coordinates update in the Pipe window as long as the right-mouse-button is held down on a Maxim window and stop updating when it is released.

I can provide screenshots but they won't attach (too large?)
    Let me know if you need more information.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If the ASCOM driver stops reporting when it sees the telescope at the Park position, even though you didn't park it, then there's something going on with the ASCOM driver.

This has nothing to do with MaxIm DL. You need to contact the author of the driver for support.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Jenny, I'm just another customer. Perhaps you could list the versions of everything that you are running, which might give a hint of possible trouble.
    e.g. Windows 10 64 bit 1909, ASCOM Platform 6.4 SP1, MaxIm 6.18, Astro-Physics ASCOM driver AP V2 v5.10.02, etc.
    How is the mount connected to the PC? e.g. FTDIchip USB to RS232 adapter? If so, which driver version 2.12.28 ?
    Have you turned of Windows Power management - USB Selective Suspend on the COM ports, USB hubs, USB root hubs?
    Is the STT connected directly to the computer or through a hub?