Resolved STF/Sti connection issues

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Miguel Garcia, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Miguel Garcia

Miguel Garcia Standard User

Guys I just switched to a new computer and I'm having issues with my Sti/STF cameras ( can't connect the STF / Sti consistently, if one gest connected the other is not, etc). I'm suspecting I don't have the latest drivers loaded into windows. I have tried following the readme in the SBIG driver checker software but windows still reports a rev 2.41.02 from year 2011, while the driver checker shows 2015/2018 driver files. My questions are:

1. readme from SBIG driver checker software instructs to go to "classic" or "pro" directory, I have no idea what this is, can you please confirm what is the correct directory to load firmware for STF-8300 and Sti cameras?, enclosed a pic of the different directories

2. Current driver reported by windows reports a driver date from 1/20/2011...but driver checker has drivers from 2018/2015 …. how do I make sure it loads the latest 2015/2018 drivers?.

upload_2018-11-25_20-21-5.png

upload_2018-11-25_20-19-54.png

upload_2018-11-25_20-18-44.png

upload_2018-11-25_20-19-4.png

2. Miguel Garcia

Besides my above question about the driver, how do I make sure the drivers/PC will handle the two STF-8300 and Sti simultaneously?. I changed to a new computer because unless I had only one camera connected, I was never able to get a reliable connection having both cameras connected. Either guiding stopped in the middle of the session or had to go through a specific sequence to have both cameras connected.

Most often, if I had one camera connected, the 2nd camera was not found ( sbig error message about camera not found, either Sti or STF). Either camera when standalone had no problem connecting, so I don't think it is a cable or computer connection issue. I use short high quality usb cables ( 2 ft for Sti, 6 ft for STF), both cameras go straight to the USB ports in the computer, no hubs.

3. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

In order:

1) The "Classic/Pro" distinction only applies to our low-level USB communication drivers; further, that distinction only applies to older model cameras (STT, STX/L, STF, and ST-i are all modern cameras that can run on either driver set). If you need to manually update your cameras' drivers, this can be done from the Windows Device Manager — but we only advise tinkering with drivers if you know what you're doing. Failure to discover one camera consistently might point to a misidentified device, and that would be a good reason to check and see if the drivers are installing properly on detection — but your screenshot implies that everything is getting detected correctly, at least for one camera at a time.

2) The dates listed in SBIG Driver Checker 64 are file creation dates, rather than signed internal timestamps. Don't worry about the discrepancy. Also: we haven't updated SBIGU64.sys in a dog's age — if you installed SBIG Driver Checker from the net installer, you're running the latest driver set.

3) The drivers/API are designed to handle the simultaneous operation of up to 24 devices concurrently — despite the fact that most software is only designed to handle two. If there are low-level communication failures, I'd be more suspicious of a bad USB host. That said: if you're able to collect a log containing all low-level communication with the device, we can certainly troubleshoot this further.

Some questions for you:

1) How are you attempting to connect to your cameras?
    2) Would you be available to demonstrate the issue over a remote support tool like TeamViewer?

4. Miguel Garcia

Thanks Adam:

1.Understood, still...which 64bit version applies for the STF and the Sti ?. ( pro or classic, either?).
    2.OK
    3.Attached log captures two consecutive errors in screenshot "Link to SBIG camera failed: Code 1":
    -Connect STF-8300 to SGP ( prompts for STF/STi, I select STF and connect with no issues)
    -Open PHD guiding (Sti previously detected/configured while connected by itself - no STF8300 connected)
    -I get the shown error when click "connect".

Your questions:
    1. For troubleshooting indoors I have each one connected to independent USB ports in the computer, using individual cables ( 2' and 6' aprox each for Sti and STF-8300). STF connected to AC power. I have slightly longer cables for my actual setup and STF is connected to a DC power supply, but issue is the same.

To be on the safe side I just completely wiped my PC and re-installed windows and the relevant software, SBIG driver checker, updated driver SW and connected the cameras (driver was installed automatically and cameras recognized w/o any manual intervention). Win10/i7/

2. Absolutely, I have TeamViewer installed, just let me know the how/when. Thanks.

upload_2018-11-30_0-18-58.png

upload_2018-11-30_0-18-28.png

upload_2018-11-30_0-20-41.png

Attached Files:

5. Adam Robichaud

It's my pleasure!

Re: the driver selection: Either will work. The Classic/Pro distinction deals with what firmware is uploaded to older cameras on renumeration. Modern cameras (like the STF and ST-i) sidestep the firmware upload process during renumeration.

Re: Your logs: You've got a low-level USB error being thrown. It's probably best I log in to troubleshoot at this point. Can you send me a private message with your TeamViewer ID & Password? I'm in until 4pm today, and 9-5 EST most days next week.

6. Adam Robichaud

For the Record:

I logged into the system and confirmed PHD Guiding is unable to connect to the the ST-I after Sequence Generator Pro has connected to the STF. CCDOps and CCDOps Alt allow for multiple connections, but I suspect static linking may be responsible for that. I'm going to do some investigations involving the two programs, and get back to you ASAP.

Cheers,
    -Adam

7. Miguel Garcia

It appears that PHD2 needs to be allowed to choose between the Sti and the Stf-8300 AT LEAST ONCE: having both cameras plugged to the PC but disconnected, let the application prompt you to select the right camera. Once PHD2 "learns" to connect to the right guider camera, there appears to be no problem in using both cameras simultaneously, as far as I've been able to test in any combination and at least after about 1h of taking fast short images, SPG and PHD2 held the connection to the respective cameras.

8. Adam Robichaud

Ah! That's great news! I'm glad you were able to sort the issue out. Should I mark the thread as resolved?

9. Miguel Garcia

Yes please!. Connection to both cameras remained solid after about 5 extra hours taking calibration frames...looks like that was it. Thanks Adam!.