STX Remote Guide Head shutter delay

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mark Marfoglia, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Mark Marfoglia

Mark Marfoglia Cyanogen Customer

I usually use my configuration in AOX mode, but want to use normal AO guiding. However, my guider has a one second delay before opening. A one second image has no stars, two and above are fine. I can hear that it is because the guider shutter takes a while to open and I am not sure if it is a software or hardware issue (shutter is slow to respond?).

After checking, it does the same thing with the AOX, except only the first image fails as I believe the shutter is kept open afterwards.

Maxim, drivers, and firmware are all up to date. Running Windows 8.1 Pro. I did not see this problem reported in the Forum so any help would be appreciated.

Mark

2. Mark Marfoglia

My guider now needs 4 sec or more to deliver images. Anything less and I do not hear the shutter.

Is there a way to keep the shutter open?

Thx

3. Mark Marfoglia

Does a non-response from SBIG mean that I should address this with my dealer?

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Mark,
    Apologies for nobody getting back to you - I suspect this was passed on to someone internally to review, and the ball was dropped.
    It would be good to get a bit more information from you to sort this out.

Please describe the optical setup, as am not sure am visualizing your setup. How is the RGH in the optical path? a photo would help.
    e.g. Scope, AO-X, Monster MOAG, STX Remote Guider Head in MOAG, FW7-STX filter wheel, STX16803 camera, mount, ASCOM direct or guider relay cable
    Which STX camera is it (e.g. STX 16803)?
    Is it an STX guider or a Remote Guide Head - eg one that you stuff into a guide scope or pick-off prism assembly?
    Which versions are you running?
    eg a screen shot of the SBIG Universal driver main screen and firmware tab would be helpful, and Help About in MaxIm should say 6.19 (we're about to get 6.20 out the door once we have the last updates for the Weather stuff in there).
    For an RGH there is no way to "keep the shutter open".

Have you pulled the STX Remote Guide Head out of the optical attachment point and looked to see if the shutter moves?
    e.g. put it on the kitchen table, and have CCDOPS or Maxim just fire the guider 100 times to capture a bunch of short exposures, and make sure all 100 are showing light.

Another approach:
    First off, power-down everything. Disconnect the USB and power to the main camera.
    Disconnect and reseat the RGH cable. Check there is no moisture/condensation or dirt in there. Consider replacing the HDMI cable with another one.
    Plug USB and power back in and test.

I'm slightly confused by your sentence "I usually use my configuration in AOX mode, but want to use normal AO guiding". Do you mean normally you are using the adaptive optics with occasional mount bump, and you want to switch to not using adaptive optics and just guide regularly?

Now after testing all this out, if the little shutter in the RGH seems to be sticking, let's arrange to get it serviced or replaced.
    Cheers
    Colin

5. Mark Marfoglia

Colin,

Thanks for your response. I have included 2 photos, and the train is:
    CDK 12.5"
    Gemini focuser/rotator
    AOX
    MOAG which houses the STX RGH
    FW7
    STX 16803
    ME II using a guider relay cable

I am running Maxim 6.19. I have included screenshots of the drivers and firmware.

It is in a remote location so I have not visually checked the open/close. I can however hear it and the shutter is clearly delayed and the resulting image intensity closely follows the noise. At first 1 & 2 seconds resulted in blanks, but 3 second guide intervals worked. Then it required 5 and now 7 seconds. I will go and run it thru the paces as you suggest. I will also swap out the HDMI cable and test it.

Sorry if I was unclear about my usual setup. I used to use CCDAP with my AOX (which keeps the shutter open so works fine). However, I have been trying out ACP and for some reason I cannot initialize it in AOX mode, but it works fine with regular guiding so that's what I have been using lately.

That's for your help,
    Mark

Attached Files:

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok. Thanks - helpful.
    Can you zip up and upload your MaxIm Settings? e.g. usually under your Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings?
    On my machine they are under C:\Users\Colin\Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings

Hvae you saved a Configuration for each of your arrangements?
    eg File... Configurations and save one (a) for oldschool RGH guiding, and (b) for use with ACP (c) for se with ACP and AOX?
    If you have, let me know what the config name is for each one.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

One more thing - ACP - are you using 8.1 or 8.2 pre-release?
    Would you mind giving me a screen shot of the ACP Preferences - Imaging tab and Guiding tab?
    I'm not a super expert on ACP, but may be able to spot something off there.
    Have you done an ACP ... Save Preferences As... to backup your ACP settings?

8. Mark Marfoglia

Colin,

Here are my MAXIM settings for both the AOX and RGH configurations.

I have also included my ACP preferences tab as well as the settings (for 8.1). I have started a thread on the ACP site here http://forums.dc3.com/showthread.php?12082-Guider-angle-difference-between-AOX-and-OAG.

I plan on testing on-site as soon as the weather permits reaching my observatory. Today was a mess in Quebec.

Thanks again for your help,
    Mark

Attached Files:

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks... will have a look shortly.

10. Mark Marfoglia

Colin,

I am at the observatory now and just tested the guider at -4C, as opposed to the -18 to -25C when I was experiencing the delay. At 1sec intervals it is working fine now. I changed nothing. I did not even reseat the cables.

This leads me to believe that this 5yr old shutter mechanism may be tired working under these hard conditions. And mostly staying open for the AOX. Assuming this is the case, does it make sense to repair it or more sense to replace it. Has the chip changed since March 2014? What is the anticipated repair time if need be (From Quebec).

Thanks,
    Mark

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Mark, we're going to have you send the RGH in to Ottawa for service - shutter repair/replacement. Look for an email with details.

12. Tim

Tim Staff Member

PM sent for RMA

13. Mark Marfoglia

Colin,

I received the the repair email, but I see there is a minimum charge plus shipping. I can’t help but think that in the end I am going to spend half of it’s value to repair it. I am also tempted to upgrade to the STX guider which came out years after I bought the STX 16803. Any thoughts?

I am still exchanging messages with Bob at ACP to try to resolve my AOX guiding and we both are at a loss for why ACP runs fine in RGH mode but fails when I try to engage the AOX. I know there were many AOX changes in V6.19. Are you anticipating more in your next release?

Thanks,
    Mark

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Owen may have figured out the ACP/AO-X issue. We'll know shortly.

Also we are about to release a firmware modification for the STX that eliminates a gradient from guide head subframes. That gradient sometimes made it hard for the AO-X to track fainter stars.

The STX Guider has the same electronics as the Remote Guide Head. It includes a focal reducer for improved field-of-view, and an adjustable pick-off mirror. It is much lower profile and more mechanically robust than typical aftermarket off-axis guiders.

15. Mark Marfoglia

I am going to order the STX guider as it will allow me to use the STX on a shorter focus telescope as well.

Is Owen's fix incorporated into V20?

If not, will you advise me of the fix?

Thx,
    Mark

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The only outstanding issue with AO right now is a potential problem operating with ACP. We'll issue an update as soon as that is resolved.

We will of course post a notice in the News and Announcement section, as we always do when a new release is issued.