Setting up an AO-8A with FW8G and Aluma 8300

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Michael Brown, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Michael Brown

Michael Brown Standard User

I'm setting up an AO-8A with an FW8G and Aluma 8300. The AO-8A does look slightly different to the AO-8T and obviously connects differently to what is described for the AO-8T in http://diffractionlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/ao8manual.pdf.

That being the case, would it be possible for some updated photos and/or instructions be provided so users can be confident they're set up correctly worrying about drivers and switching on power etcetera?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The AO-8A is identical except for the connector. Everything installs identically to the AO-8T.

I do have to warn you that the updated AO control software isn't working yet. We're getting that solved but it's behind schedule.

3. Michael Brown

Got it. I was putting everything together yesterday and right now I've got just one cable connected to the AO-8A.

Regarding the software issues for the AO-8A, does that impact the Aluma API and Ascom driver too, and thus TheSkyX etcetera.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The DL Imaging API includes AO support.

Currently there isn't an ASCOM standard for AO. I do believe it's time to make a proposal for a new standard!

What isn't quite finished is the MaxIm DL feature for running the AO with the Aluma cameras.

5. Michael Brown

So who can run the AO-8A at the moment, and how are they doing it?

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The AO-8A is basically the same device as the AO-8T which is supported for the prior series cameras. (It's just the connector that is different).
    MaxIm supports the AO-8T and some other programs such as TheSkyX Camera Add On support it and the other AO-devices based on SBIG driver architecture.
    Since the Aluma camera controls the AO-8A via DL Imaging drivers instead of SBIG w/AO drivers, software updates are needed for any application to use the AO-8A.
    We just did a firmware update for Aluma to address a guiding issue affecting certain customers.
    We expect to have the AO-8A update out shortly - we want to get some real-world testing in.

7. Greg Crawford

Greg Crawford Cyanogen Customer

Is there any update on this situation from 2 months ago? I've just updated my sub to MaxIm DL Pro and I think I have the AO plugged in correctly. (One DIN plug from the Aluma Filter Wheel and one from the AO into the camera; plus the HDMI connection.)

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Adam has been working on the software, but we're not there yet. Sorry this is taking so long... there's a lot on his plate.

9. Michael Brown

I just saw there's been some recent relevant posts on this topic, but I haven't followed all the details.

What is the current status of the software/drivers, including TheSkyX support, for the Aluma 8300 + FW8G + AO-8A package?

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Good news -
    Ubuntu Linux, MacOS, Windows DL Imaging drivers for all six Aluma cameras, Filter Wheels, and AO-8A are now available for software developers.
    ASCOM Drivers are available for Windows for all six Aluma series cameras, and the FW8G filter wheels. (ASCOM doesnt have a mechanism to support AO).
    MaxIm's support of AO-8A and DL Imaging is being tested at a real-world observatory presently - so far, so good.
    We've been in touch with Software Bisque and are sending them hardware and providing support, based on their schedule.
    My colleague @Adam Robichaud is providing support to software developer partners.
    We're also getting ready to release a more sophisticated simulator for developers to test, without the need for a camera and clear skies. (That will be a few more weeks).