Resolved Message "Error opening filter wheel"

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Debeauxairs, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Debeauxairs

Debeauxairs Standard User

Dear All.

I have not used my SBIG STL 11000m for a while and now, when I try to connect it, I have the following error message:
    Error opening filter wheel
    Error (1710520672) initializing filter wheel.

When I specify "no filter" in the "setup filter", the camera connects normally.

Dring the connection, the filter wheel rotates as if a certain internal initialization is done.

Can someone help me? Thank you.

Philip

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What operating system, software and version are you using? e.g. Windows 10 64bit, MaxIm 6.20
    Do you have the latest SBIG driver checker?
    If MaxIm, did you set the camera settings as:
    SBIG Universal for both the Camera and the Filter Wheel?

3. Debeauxairs

Dear Colin

Thank you for the quick reaction. I am using Windows 7 pro and MaxIm 6.20. I think I have the latest SBIG driver checker, but I have to check; at least it tells me that all my drivers are the latest versions. I chose the settings "SBIG Universal" for the Camera and the "SBIG Standard" for the filter wheel.

4. Debeauxairs

I forgot to say that it is 64bit

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It should be set like this:
    filter.png
    Let me know if that works.
    Otherwise, i will dust off my old STL11000M and try it myself.

6. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

I think the rotation with 'no filter' selected is normal, or maybe better put, not abnormal. When power is applied and the camera is initializing, it isn't necessarily aware of the software settings (the camera is loading the drivers from the computer at this time) so it will spin until it settles at "home". Then with 'no filter' selected in the settings, the camera doesn't try to initialize any FW, as it has been told that there is none, and your connection has completed normally.

If a filter wheel is selected in the settings, the camera will try to initialize that filter wheel as part of the link being established. And for an undetermined reason, at this point anyhow, you're getting an error message because that initialization is not being completed. So, is FW5-STL (in CCDOps) selected in the Filter Setup? When the wheel stops spinning, is it centered? Do you have a way of testing the I2C connection of the camera? An AO perhaps?

-Bill

7. Debeauxairs

Dear Colin and Bill.

It works! Thank you a lot for your inputs! A few words about what I did and what I think where my errors:
    - I probably did an error in trying the driver update procedure via the Driver Checker...
    - To be sure to have the laste driver version, I uninstalled and reinstalled the camera driver using the Driver Checker. It installed the 4.99 version, I had the 4.8 if I rememer well.
    - I didn't check the "Dual Chip Mode" after having removed my remote camera.

Well, the operator (me) is much less reliable than the SBIG material :))

Thank you again and best regards from Switzerland!

Philip

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok have fun with your camera!

9. ToreR

ToreR Standard User

This is very interesting stuff!

I recently upgraded my Maxim DL Pro from 6.11 to 6.18. I then lost a fantastic night with M83. Reason: I got the same error messages as Philip got above with my STL11KM. Panicking change of the set-up to my Canon EOS 5 ll gave me some comfort.

Trying to analyse Why suddenly this disaster? I realized that the only difference was the upgrade from 6.11 to 6.18.

Next day (cloudy) I went back to the 6.11 version. The Camera operated perfectly. I tried the 5 version: Perfect. The same with ccdOps: Perfect.
    Now I’m asking the forum: What’s wrong with 6.18?

(BTW, i tried to go all the way to 6.20 but experienced a lot of obstacles not being recognized with my ident. My first download of MxDL goes back to 2012)

Clear Sky
    Tore in South Africa

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Check the suggestions above.

Also, there have been quite a number of changes over the past couple of years.
    MaxIm 6.12 and below install in a different directory than 6.13 and above; e.g. the folder name is MaxIm DL V6 and later MaxIm DL 6.
    This has to do with a change in the Installshield program and how Windows security wants to handle installations, so we have to make a change.
    It may be that you have old and new settings mixed on the machine, or some other problem such as slightly incorrect settings for 6.18.
    You shouldnt try to have two versions of 6.xx on the same machine. It may be using settings that are inappropriate for the newer release.

You may have a driver issue as well. There were a lot of improvements to MaxIm, and you may need to get current on everything.

To sort this out, I'd suggest you launch 6.18 open the View... Log Window, and right click in the log window, turn on Time Stamps and Debug Messages.
    Next time the problem occurs, you can check the log window and see what happened.
    Also, check that the threading settings are correct for the camera and guider.

I find your (BTW) confusing. If you need help getting to the current licensed version, let us know.