Resolved Aluma upgrade problem

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Jason Handel, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Jason Handel

Jason Handel Standard User

I tried the Update twice. The first time I successfully updated to Firmware Rev 14. I then ran it again, but still on Rev 14.

2. Jason Handel

Also, After upgrading to firmware rev 14 and updating my Maxim LT to Maxim LT version 6.2 (from 6.18), I tried to connect my camera. Camera appeared to connect. When I clicked on the 'Cooler' Button on the 'set up' tab of the application... the program just hung up. Cooler Set Point Dialog box never came up. I reported this issue weeks ago... but still not resolved... With the former firmware rev and the former Maxim LT version the Cooler Set Point Dialog box would appear to hang for approx 5 minutes but would eventually come up... but now wont even do that...

At this point with no ASCOM driver functionality and this basic function not working in the MAXIM LT software I can not use this camera at all...

Very disappointing....

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Did you hit Download FPGA first, then Update FPGA? If not, then please do so.

Also remember that you have to cycle power on the camera after the update, to load the new firmware.

I just checked by trying it on an Aluma camera and it does work.

The firmware and driver are a pair - if you do not update the firmware the driver may not work properly.

Also please note that in MaxIm DL you must turn on threading for the driver to work properly. Setup tab Options.

If you want to try the ASCOM driver please let me know. It's working but we want people to do some beta testing before we announce it.

4. Jason Handel

Yes I did. I printed out and then followed the instructions including 1) Download FPGA 2) Update FPGA 3) Cycle Power. It was successfull in that the first time I did it the firmware Rev changed from 8(i think) to 14. I then tried it again thinking that the next time it might update from firmware rev 14 to 16. Unfortunately it stayed on Rev 14.

Yes I would like to Beta the ASCOM driver...

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Make sure you have both Threading options turned on in MaxIm.
    DLthreading.png
    We could arrange to do a Teamviewer session into your machine and see what's going on, and retry the update.
    You might try powering down the camera and computer, and try again.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We've had other reports of successful upgrades, so I think this might possibly be user error. If you can provide Teamviewer details via private message I can log in remotely and have a look.

7. Jason Handel

Thanks guys... I re-tried all the steps again this morning and got the same result. I am not currently a user of team viewer but I will see what I can do to get it installed and send details via private message.

8. Jason Handel

Thanks Colin... Turning on the Threading Options has corrected the issues I was having with the Cooler Dialog not responding and locking.

9. Jason Handel

Guys, Further update. I re-tried the entire process from a different PC. This second PC is a mini PC that I have been trying to get set up to use as an imaging PC. Anyway, the process worked on this PC and I now have the Firmware Rev 16 on the camera. Not sure why one worked and one didn't. Both are running Windows 10 Pro. I am suspecting that on my main PC the DL Config Utility didn't get the new drivers / firmware. I will try an uninstall for the DL Config Utility on the main computer and re-install that program.

Both PCs now recognize that the camera has firmware Rev 16.

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, good. If you run into any more snags, let us know.