Question regarding FW7 install

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by NickA, Apr 5, 2019.

1. NickA

NickA Standard User

Hello all – are there any potential issues with installing the FW7 upside down (when just used with the STX,) in order to avoid a pier collision? I prefer having my sensor oriented with the XY coordinates in their appropriate positions, but the FW7 will inevitably collide with the pier (when using my TEC140 refractor setup) if I don't place severe limits on my MX+ slew limits. My other setup, a CDK12.5, doesn't experience this issue.

I use the full package with the CDK12.5: STX, FW7, STX Guider and A-OX. With the TEC140 however, available back space limits me to just the STX + FW7 combo. Given that I'm not using the STX Guider and A-OX in this scenario, I'm curious if I can just flip the FW7 upside down and then bolt it to the STX, without running into any unforeseen issues. Thanks

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I assume you mean rotating it 180 degrees around the optical axis? There’s no reason why not as long as the cable reaches.

3. NickA

NickA Standard User

Yes, and thanks for confirming.

4. NickA

NickA Standard User

Hello Doug, and thanks again for your reply. Please note that I attempted to rotate the FW7 180° as compared to the STX body. Unfortunately, the STX body screw hole pattern is such that installing the FW7 upside down slightly blocks the camera opening. Thus, it will not work, and I'm not about to start drilling holes in the FW7 cover. I will rotate the whole CCD assembly 180° when imaging, and rotate it back when performing tasks such as gathering PEC data.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The front of the STX is a bit confusing at first glance because the front cover aperture isn't symmetric relative to the sensor. There used to be a guide sensor in the camera and the aperture was offset to accommodate it.

Be sure to check the alignment of the filter wheel with the shutter open! Otherwise you might find yourself drilling lots of holes.

6. NickA

NickA Standard User

Hello, I decided to leave the STX-16803 upside down. I'm more comfortable with that as opposed to drilling holes, and I guess I’ll just add 180° to the rotation number in my SKYX FOVI.

Speaking of SKYX, I'm having an issue and I figure that you might have a quick fix for this. For the most part these days, I connect my STX-16803 to SKYX by selecting “MaxIm DL’s Camera.” This works fine, except I am unable to connect my FW7. I always receive an error message.

Prior to purchasing MaxIm, I used to connect to SKYX by choosing SBIG with AO for the CCD, and then I’d choose STX-FW7 for the filter wheel. This still works with no problems, but most days I am connected to SKYX using “MaxIm DL’s Camera.” I'm just curious to know if there's a quick fix and/or a correct setting. I've tried Auto CFW but that doesn't work. Maybe i need to go the POTH route?

Now with CCDAP I pretty much relinquish all control to that program/MaxIm. Still, occasionally I'm doing stuff in SKYX and I have to flip over to MaxIm to change the filter wheel. Thanks!

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

TheSkyX does not implement control of a filter wheel via MaxIm. I had some conversations with a couple of the Software Bisque people. We've been working with them a bit, and may see if they are willing to implement filter wheel control via MaxIm.

The only option is to use the SBIG w/AO and SBIG filter wheel, instead of MaxIm controlled camera.

8. NickA

NickA Standard User

Right, that’s what I do now. Thanks.