STX / STXL Firmware V2.54

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Doug, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We have a new STX / STXL firmware version available, which can be installed using the SBIG Driver Checker.

This version improves subframe images from the guide camera (Remote Guide Head, STX Guider, or FW8G-STXL filter wheel). Previously there was some level of gradient across subframe images. By eliminating this gradient you may find it possible to guide or AO track on fainter stars.

Note: if your SBIG Driver Checker installation is more than two years old, please download and install the latest version rather than using the "Update" button. The newer version provides more reliable firmware installation on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 10.

2. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Doug

I have installed the latest version of SBIG Driver Checker to follow your advice, but when it reads my camera firmware (STXL11002) it states my firmware is up to date i.e 2.53, hence it does not offer the new firmware.

cheers
    Martin

3. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Martin,

I'm seeing the issue on my PC as well—I think there's something odd going on with buffered files. I've got an updated SBIGDriverChecker64 installer queued up with some pending changes to SBIGUDrv for improved Linux support. Expect that to drop in the very, very near future.

-A

4. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Martin,

That release made it out yesterday. Please try updating SBIGDriverChecker64 via our website one more time.

Cheers,
    -A

5. chrisscottmaier

chrisscottmaier Standard User

Hi, I'm about to update the firmware in my STX and wondered approximately how long it should take. Thanks...

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It depends - a couple of minutes is not abnormal.
    If it looks like it is "stuck" wait patiently. It may be waiting for the camera to finish its internal processes and restart.
    Don't disconnect/power off/unplug or you will "brick" the camera.
    Also, I recommend you do it on the "workbench" with a direct USB cable between PC and camera, and make sure the PC is on AC power and not set to go into power management sleep.

7. chrisscottmaier

chrisscottmaier Standard User

Thanks Colin, after reading your post, got it updated last night. took about 2 min. No problems..