Issues with ST-2000XM built-in autoguider

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Donald A Polidori, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Donald A Polidori

Donald A Polidori Standard User

Hello, I have had the subject camera since about 2002, but had not used it in a few years. I hooked it up to my Meade LX-200GPS a couple weeks ago and it worked fine. However, the last couple nights I have had an issue where I get "Undescribed error - error code 544 (22)" when I try to calibrate the autoguider with CCDSoft v5. I then noticed that when I tried to move the mount using the N-S-W-E buttons within the software, the scope would NOT move with the E button. The others seemed to work fine. I'm trying to think if I am missing anything that could explain this. I disconnected and reconnected the autoguider cable, but no difference. Am worried that I have a hardware problem with the camera relays, but not sure it that would explain one direction only not working. Any advice on how to trouble shoot is appreciated.

--Don

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Not sure about the software error. If code 22 is coming from the SBIG Universal driver then it means "Share Error". That suggests a control software glitch. CCDSoft was obsoleted a long time ago so I don't know whether or not you can get assistance on this from Bisque.

As for the guiding problem, 99% of the time the autoguider cable is faulty. There are two common failure modes:
    1. The cable broke - bad pin or broken wire inside the connector
    2. You're using the wrong cable. The RJ-12 connectors can be attached to the cable in two different orientations. If it is backwards then it won't work properly. Most mounts require the wires to flip over in the cable from end to end.

3. Donald A Polidori

Thanks for the reply. I will get a new RJ-12 cable and give it a shot. The cable is pretty old, also, so maybe one of the wires/pins broke. Worth a shot!

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

It's also a possibility that the IC which controls the relay activity has failed. It's not uncommon for the failure to be seen in only one relay.

-Bill

5. Donald A Polidori

OK, I got a break from the clouds tonight but still no joy. Same issue as last time even with the new cable. I could move the scope in the N-W-S directions but nothing in the E direction. And the calibration failed with the same error code.
    Bill- is there any other diagnostics I can do to pinpoint the problem? Do you guys still service this camera if the IC is the problem and I sent back to SBIG?

6. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

This thread can closed, we're in communication over email.

Thanks,

Bill