ASCOM driver for STF-8300

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Aleh, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Aleh

Aleh Standard User

Hello.
    I found some programs doesn't use native SBIG drivers, ASCOM only.
    But seems SBIG haven't ASCOM-driver for STF-8300 camearas.
    This is not good situation and I don't understand why my camera, which costs me more $2K, has no ASCOM-driver - standard software for all astronomy hardware.
    How I could resolve this issue?
    Thanks.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What software is it? Can you send a link to their web site?
    We work with a lot of the software vendors to support the advanced capabilities of our cameras.

3. Aleh

Aleh Standard User

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Oh, I see, a new program that's free, and it looks like it just came out on February 10, 2019.
    What is your involvement with the program? e.g. Are you a developer of NINA or just a user ?
    Do you have a contact person there?

5. Aleh

Aleh Standard User

I am just a user, I have not any contacts in this project.
    I wrote them about support SBIG's cameras, but did not receive any answer yet.
    But still, why STF-series cameras has not ascom-driver?
    My best regards.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, thanks for explaining about NINA.

SBIG started making astronomy cameras 10 years before ASCOM existed. From 1989 to 2014, SBIG never had a plan to do ASCOM.
    Instead, SBIG produced a software development kit (SBIG Univeral Driver SDK).
    That software development kit has been used by every software vendor since, including Diffraction Limited, Software Bisque, and pretty much everyone else (and maybe we can help Stefan Berg with NINA).
    SBIG was the first company (and now only one of two) with Adaptive Optics. There is no ASCOM standard for AO, so software companies that want to support AO have to use an SDK.

Here's a little history for you:
    In 1989, SBIG created the ST-4 camera. It was the first in a line of cameras that continue today with our STX, STXL, STF, ST-I and the new Aluma series cameras.
    In 1993, Diffraction Limited was founded, and created MaxIm DL imaging software, and used SBIG's SDK to support their cameras.

In 1999, ASCOM was invented by DC3 Dreams and Diffraction Limited.
    DC3 and Diffraction created the very first automation software for observing. A lot of people contributed over the years since.

In 2011, SBIG was acquired by Aplegen, Inc.
    In 2014, Diffraction Limited purchased SBIG's assets from Aplegen.
    In the next 2 years, we introduced many improvements to the SBIG cameras, firmware, software, and SDK. ASCOM only mattered to a few new software programs - it was more economical to help them use the SDK than create ASCOM for them.

At the end of 2017, Diffraction Limited introduced the new Aluma 8300 camera, quickly followed by the Aluma 694, Aluma 814, Aluma 3200. Then we introduced the Aluma 77-00 and Aluma 47-10 back illuminated sensor cameras.

In 2019, Diffraction Limited made ASCOM drivers available for the new Aluma series cameras, in addition to our DL Imaging software to control them.

I'll ask my colleagues to think about making an ASCOM driver for the SBIG cameras. No promises on when that can happen. In the mean time, it would just be better for Stefan to download our free SDK and use it.

7. Aleh

Aleh Standard User

Thank you for the clarification. I wish you further success :)

8. Aurora

Aurora Standard User

I have two SBIG cameras that need ASCOM drivers to operate with Starkeeper Voyager which is astrophotography automation software. Somewhat similar to SGPro but improved. ST8300M and STF8300C. I too am surprised that ASCOM drivers were made for the Aluma series but not the cameras I own.

Here is their site: http://www.starkeeper.it/software.htm

The developer's email address: pegaso0970@hotmail.com

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We are working to bring current SBIG models into the DL Imaging driver, which will make them available via ASCOM.

I can’t yet predict when that will be available, but we are actively working on it.

Older models not currently manufactured will only be supported via SBIG Universal drivers.

10. Aurora

Aurora Standard User

11. Aurora

Aurora Standard User

Good news in a way for my STF8300C but it sounds like that leaves my ST8300M out in the cold.

12. Radinkel

Radinkel Standard User

There are other people highly interested in ascom drivers e.g. for STF8300m! What's the actual standing?

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Things have taken something of an unexpected turn with ON Semi discontinuing all of the KAF and KAI CCD sensors, so we are not prioritizing this right now. We have to put all our engineering resources into getting our new models launched.

14. Radinkel

Radinkel Standard User

I will not buy a SBIG anymore

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

What program do you need ASCOM for?
    Our new cameras such as the SBIG Aluma series already are ASCOM compatible out of the box.
    @Doug was just letting you know we got an unexpected surprise on Sept 19th, and that is delaying our other plans.

16. Radinkel

Radinkel Standard User

Hello,
    its N.I.N.A. too. I use it with my color camera because of the debayered preview. I d like to use it with my SBIG too. There is now a lot of nice capture software and ASCOM is NOW the standard. It is sad for all the SBIG users... And for future ASCOM drivers is a KO criteria. ...
    I know you have to find an altenative to the kodak chips...

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok thanks, that's helpful.
    We met with Dale Ghent of NINA fame at NEAF a few months back.
    We'll update you when we have news.

18. Radinkel

Radinkel Standard User

Still waiting for news in case STF-8300M and ASCOM.
    Its a shame!

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Dale is welcome to use our software development kit. Feel free to let him know its available. We never heard back from him.

20. Radinkel

Radinkel Standard User

There are a lot of other 3rd party software. You cant expect that every software developer creates his own driver for SBIG. Thats the porpose of ASCOM!