Dust (again) - STX16803

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Paul M, Aug 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Paul M

Paul M Standard User

Hi all,
    remote setup is STX16803 / FW7 / STX-Guider / AOX (beyond the AOX is a field flattening optic, sealing the front end)

We had an accumulation of dust at a distance of ~ 3/4" from the sensor (measured using the dust donuts on the flats). We pulled the camera, opened, blown the window and filters and put back together.

Within weeks, the flats/images are covered in dust again and measured at the same distance (around 0.75 - 0.76 inches from the sensor. The imaging system should be sealed once all attached.

I've included a couple of flats (different filters). Adjusted the images to highlight all the dust.

where can dust be getting into the system? thoughts?

It's difficult to assess without being on site to deal with this. The techs onsite have put it together twice now, and don't see any gaps.

thanks,
    ..paul M.

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I assume you have high winds and blowing fine dust?

Hard to say - should be fairly well sealed. I'd maybe try sealing up the two HDMI-style Remote Head connectors (camera and STX Guider). That's about the only place I can think of where there might be a sneak path.

3. Paul M

Paul M Standard User

Hi Doug,
    no wind at night. Thats whats great about Sierra Remote Obs (SRO). Wind drops to nothing at night when the roof is open, it's actually amazing there.
    Will get them to pull the camera, clean again and try to cover up those connectors. I'll have them take some more pics.

fyi, the filters are fine, as they were when the camera was pulled last time.
    thanks,
    ...paul.

4. Paul M

Paul M Standard User

fyi, just had the camera pulled and opened. minimal dust on filters.
    here's a shot of the dust on the sensor window. zoom in to see how much dust is actually there.
    They're going to cover all unused connectors including the ethernet port. Or is it coming in thru the side air vents?

cheers,
    ...paul.

Attached Files:

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Do not block the vents.

Also doing anything with the connectors on the back of the camera will not help. There are no openings between the front (red) and back (black) of the camera. It is sealed - has to be or the vents would be a horrible light leak.

Doesn’t make much sense that the filters would not get dirty, but the window does. They face each other.