Returning Imager - ST-2000XM Issue

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Scott Lindstrom, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Scott Lindstrom

Scott Lindstrom Standard User

Hello!

Haven't used my gear in a long time. Everything was working the last time I used them 7+ years ago....yeah, it's been awhile. :)

Moved from an Old MacBook Windows XP Virtual machine running CCDSoft v5 to a Win 10 laptop running Sky X...

Connecting my ST-2000XM to the old VM results in the same set of errors....

Shutter Error 300017...

I can swap detectors and succeed in getting the TC-237 autoguiding sensor to take an image...

I am uploading the log file and the current view of the latest driver checker SW.

In the log was a photo connect attempt using the main sensor, a photo connect attempt using the TC-237 and a connect attempt using the main sensor.

Anything to try before I need to send it somewhere?

All other gear has succeed in connecting to the laptop.

Thank in advance! Want to get back into the astroimaging game.

Scott
    Losmandy Gemini v1.04 G11
    Stellarvue 102 APO
    ST-2000XM
    CFW8
    AO8
    Pyxis rotator
    Starlight Instruments Digital Focusing System (original)

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I suggest you start by using CCDOPs (it's old school, but may be easier to resolve what is going on).
    You can get it from our website, either under the legacy support section or from under a current camera.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

One other thought - on Monday, you might contact @Bill via bill at sbig dot com for assistance.
    Sometimes the shutter can be adjusted - Bill may have some ideas or be able to repair for you if it is indeed a shutter failure / sluggishness.

4. Scott Lindstrom

Thanks, Colin! After I posted this, I actually did what you suggested....

Shutter Error....

Uploading camera information as reported by CCDOps.

Imaging sensor reports shutter error...

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Talk to Bill on Monday.
    Put the camera on the workbench.
    You could just eyeball the shutter through the nose piece and see if it moves. You might need a flashlight.
    You might have to power-cycle the camera, and watch if it moves on power off/on.

6. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Shutter errors can be electrical, mechanical or electronic. The most common cause are low input voltage and long USB cable runs. Are either of those scenarios applicable?

- Bill

7. Scott Lindstrom

Hi Bill!

Cable is the original cable that came with the camera so I don't think it's a cable issue, especially considering the TC-237 shutter operates just fine? Same with the power supply brick....although not saying the brick is not faulty....

What is the pinout on the camera power connector? I could measure output power at the camera input to check input power easily enough.

I was waiting to tear apart the unit (removing the AO8 and CF8) in order to watch the shutter but can do so this evening....anything else I should check while if have pieces lying everywhere? :)

Thanks again!

8. Bill

Scott,

It shouldn't matter which ccd you're using, a shutter error with the imaging ccd should still happen with the tracking ccd. You don't have to remove anything as long as you can see through whatever filter is covering the ccd's.
    The low input voltage I mentioned was referring to the voltage going into the power brick.

-Bill

9. Scott Lindstrom

So if I can image with the TC-237, but not the main imaging chip, what does that mean?

I’ll still try to see through everything to see what’s going on at power up, etc, but your above comment has me thinking....

Thanks again! Appreciate the help!

10. Bill

It's not logical to get shutter errors with one ccd and not another. There is only 1 shutter in the camera and one sensor that detects it. You're clearly are getting the error, based on the first post in this thread. Are you unable to get an image from the imaging ccd AND getting shutters errors? Maybe it needs to visit sunny southern CA.

-Bill

11. Scott Lindstrom

Hi Bill!

Removed the AO8, CFW8 and the front plate. I now see the internals and the shutter and understand exactly what you are saying :)

It doesn't move at all during power up or when an imaging command is issued. I swapped detectors in TSX and it said it was taking a picture but it was dark obviously. Manually moved the shutter and then it issued a subsequent shutter error.

Serial number is 205041043 ...

Agreeing that it is probably in need of a vacation in SoCal...

12. Bill

Scott,

Send me an email, bill@sbig.com, and I'll give you the details for sending it in.

-Bill