Error connecting FW7-STX filter wheel

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Gerald Sifferman, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Gerald Sifferman

Gerald Sifferman Cyanogen Customer

I received an error message while powering-up my STX-16803 using MaximDL v6.2 as follows:
    "Error (6) initializing filter wheel"

I had been cycling the camera on and off at about two-minute intervals while I was debugging a separate problem with my electronic focuser, when suddenly my attempt to connect camera and filter wheel failed (see log file attached at line 04:27:39). My setup in Maxim DL is for SBIG AO w/FW. I disconnected the AO and routed the FW7 pigtail directly to the camera to see if that would help (also changed setup to SBIG Universal). No success. Multiple attempts in both camera configurations, still no success.

I uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers, including the SBIG Driver-checker itself (v4.05). No luck. Updated the firmware via the SBIG Driver-checker and still no luck. Removed the FW7 from the camera and confirmed there was no obstruction, and was able to spin the filter wheel freely - no binding. The optical sensor was firmly fastened down with the phillips-head screws, etc.

I should emphasize that I did not "hot plug" any of the components while cycling the power. I use only the master switch on my power strip to power down.

Your expert help will be most appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

This sounds like a bit of an odd way to debug things. Were you allowing the power supply capacitors time to fully discharge (eg 30 seconds or so) before powering back on?
    You mention a log file - There's no log file attached, just a screen shot.

This sounds like a hardware failure. We need to figure out if its the FW or the camera or both.

Some things to try:
    1. With FW connected to Camera, and no AO, does the FW home ? eg does the carousel rotate to the first position? Any movement at all?

2. Without the FW, and the AO directly to the camera, does the AO respond?
    That would confirm that the I2C Aux port on the camera is still working in both directions.

3. With the FW in the middle (Camera->FW->AO) does the AO respond?
    Then we might be able to determine FW problem.

Can you provide the serial numbers of the camera, FW, AO, and when/where you bought them?

3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Error code 6 indicates "Bad parameter". Do you have the default settings in MaxIm DL for the FW? It should be set to Model=Standard, and COM Port=COM1

Does the filter wheel work in CCDOps?

4. Gerald Sifferman

Colin,
    I am re-sending the log file attached here. As for the time between disconnect and reconnect, according to the log at least 60-seconds elapsed. (The reason for the repeated power cycles had nothing to do with the STX - it was due to a failure with the Takahashi focuser which necessitated swapping power cables, USB cables, different Com ports, etc. in order to isolate the error).

As to your "Some things to try..."
    1) No. No rotation, no movement with the carousel.
    2) Yes. Successful exercise in all axes.
    3) Yes. Same as 2).

Serial numbers:
    STX: X16030004
    AO: AOX160804
    FW7: FWX160407

Bought in April 2019 from Farah at Woodland Hills.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Attached Files:

5. Gerald Sifferman

Hello Tim,
    Yes, I'm using the default settings. No, the FW7 won't respond in CCDOps, either.

Jerry

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Based on the symptoms, your filter wheel will likely need service. You should contact @Bill Lynch and arrange an RMA.

---------------------------------------------------------

Authorized Repair Center
    Bill Lynch – SBIG Service & Repair Center
    3769 Constellation Road, Unit D
    Lompoc, CA 93436
    Bill Lynch – bill@sbig.com
    Phone: (805) 308-6979

Note: Please contact our authorized service & repair center for an RMA number prior to returning your equipment.

----------------------------------------------------------