Resolved New Problem w/ ST10 - AO8 & FW10

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Galaxyhunter, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Brian Brown

Brian Brown Standard User

Hi Carl,

I implemented the tracking in the DLImaging plugin based on SBIG w/AO. Both use track time to control guider exposure duration. This is also explained in the Help PDF in maxIm DL in the 'AO Track Tab' page. You should be setting this value on the order of tenths of a second for faster updates.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Carl, from the MaxIm manual:
    "
    In order to guide an exposure with the AO, a guide star must first be located using the Locate tab. Next, switch to the Track tab, select a Track Time (guider exposure duration), and click Start. If everything works correctly, the guide star should appear and then be pulled into the center of the guide box immediately. The Track Time should be as short as possible to allow for the fastest update rate, but long enough to ensure a clear image of the guide star. To adjust the Track Time, momentarily stop the guider - click the Stop button - dial in the new duration, and click Start again. The Aggressiveness and Max. Move can then be adjusted while autoguiding to tweak the tracking stability.
    With a short Track Time, extremely fast guide rates are possible using an AO unit. This provides the"

Tracking time in seconds is inversely proportional to the AO attained adjustment rate.
    10 second exposure = 0.1 Hz.
    0.1 second exposure = 10 Hz.

3. Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter Cyanogen Customer

WOW. My apologies to everybody. I have hardly touched my scope in the last couple of years. I'm getting close to retirement so I wanted to get back into imaging. A truly senior moment ( not my first) accrued. For some reason I was thinking that the "Track Time" was the hz time. Star testing tonight, I set the track time to .1 & away it went. So tomorrow night I will plug the filter wheel back into the AO-8 & star test that setup. Tonight's test was on my old XP machine & Maxim4.60. Tomorrow, I will plug it back into my Win7 machine.

4. Galaxyhunter

I star tested my setup on my Win7 machine. Maxim 4.60 & 5.08 tested fine. There is still a little issue with 6.20. I'm not worried about 6.20 as I prefer the GUI of 4.60.
    As long as I can use 4.60, I will be a happy camper. I thank everybody for their help & input.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We'd appreciate knowing what the "little issue with 6.20" is, so we can look at fixing it in 6.21 if appropriate.

6. Galaxyhunter

Okay, I'll either start a new thread or PM you directly, which ever you would prefer.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

New thread would be good.