Resolved SBIG AO-8T plug-in needed for MaximDL

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Geoff Hughes, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It should work fine on the bench.

I recommend you delete ALL copies of the DLL, and then run SBIG Driver Checker again to install it properly.

2. Geoff Hughes

Geoff Hughes Cyanogen Customer

Done and done. Same result. Another set of eyes there? Not doubting your expertise. I can resend my Settings if you want.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Geoff, I've had a look as well, and am not sure why this problem is happening.
    Is your observatory PC internet accessible? e.g. using a remote desktop tool or teamviewer or vnc?

4. Geoff Hughes

Are you asking if I can give you control of my laptop to look around? I've done that with tech support people before. As far as the applications you list, nothing installed currently (that I know) but I'm willing to download something.

I looked at vnc viewer and downloaded but did not install because it sounded like it was for viewing, not being viewed. I'm willing for you to use it on my laptop. I have Windows 10 if that matters.

I am in Central time zone and will be home most of tomorrow (Dec 18), including early morning if that suits you.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I've reviewed your settings again in depth, and noticed a couple of areas that will show up as an issue later on. Am not convinced they are the cause of your current problem, but they are basic things that need to be done before you can use the software properly.
    File... Settings... Site and Optics.
    You need to set the optical parameters of the Main Telescope and Guider (usually either the same as main scope or if it has a 0.7x focal reducer, calculate for that.
    You need to set the Site Location latitude, longitude, and elevation.
    With these values all empty (0), calculation errors will occur, and MaxIm will not be happy.

File... Settings... FITS Header
    Please set the information for those keywords - it makes figuring out things easier later on.

Observatory Control - it looks like nothing is set their either, like the connection to the telescope or focuser, You'll want to do this later. I don't think it is critical at the moment, just a to-do.

Camera Control Window
    Options
    Turn on Threading for both items under the options for Camera 2.

Once you've done all that, try again.

If it still doesn't work, then let's move on to scheduling a remote session.
    Am not sure what time zone you are in - can you let me know? We're on Eastern (UTC-5).

BTW Did you have a Starlight Xpress AO gizmo hooked up to this machine at some point?

6. Geoff Hughes

Thank you for this. I'll get on it tomorrow and post when done. I'm on CST.
    I had an SX guide cam and filter wheel. I don't believe either would be AO, would it?

Actually I got on it tonight. I was able to do the optical parameters and site location data. Don't know what FITS Header keywords to set among OBJECT, TELESCOPE, INSTRUMENT, etc. Same with Observatory Control. Unimportant for now as you say.
    Threading has been turned on per Doug. I then tried again.

A remote session tomorrow sounds good. I can be here if I know when.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Geoff, I am avaialable today until 5pm ET.
    It sas you then tried again, but you've left us in suspense. What happened?
    Perhaps you could download and install TeamViewer - once you've done that, send me a private message with user id and password, and I will hop on your machine with you.
    I will expect the camera equipment to be connected and powered up.

8. Geoff Hughes

Sorry. I got the same filter wheel error message as before. (If it had worked you would know about it in ALL CAPS! ;-)
    Team Viewer is installed and camera is powered up.

When can I expect contact?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Two issues at hand:
    Two different vintages of SBIG Driver Checker were present.
    Hardware failure of I2C motor control board of filter wheel.
    This is going in to @Bill for repair.

10. Geoff Hughes

Doug and Colin: I have the hardware back from Bill Lynch, who found no issues. I gave it another go and it connected!! The only difference is I ran a registry repair. I think something must have been messed up there. Sorry for all the runaround. A huge Thanks for your time and effort!