Aluma 8300 HELP

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Pablo Weigandt, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Pablo Weigandt

Pablo Weigandt Cyanogen Customer

This is a flat of an Aluma 3800 camera. What can we do about it?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Just sent you an email.

3. Pablo Weigandt

I "regenerate" the desiccant as described in the User Manual. A lot better but still not so good. What else can I do?

4. Pablo Weigandt

Trying to upload the image. I receive an error massage. I will try again later.

Attached Files:

• CCD.png
      CCD.png
      File size:
      244.8 KB
      Views:
    • CCD.png
      CCD.png
      File size:
      244.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Pablo Weigandt

Ok. That´s the image.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Can you take a picture of the sensor from the front of the camera?

7. Pablo Weigandt

I will ASAP.

8. Pablo Weigandt

Attached Files:

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Pablo, is the sensor chilled or warm (room temperature) when you took that photo you just posted?

10. Pablo Weigandt

Warm. Ambient temperature. About 28 degrees Celsius.

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What is your camera serial number?

12. Pablo Weigandt

File attached.

Is there any way we can try to do the cleaning? (with your instructions). The sending and specially, the coming back of the camera is not easy. Last time that I sent the other camera I had to pay taxes again like if the camera were new, and the process is also time consuming. Right now is the time of the year that we can take pictures.

Attached Files:

13. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I see yours is an early Aluma unit, built in 2018. A few of the early units experienced a problem with a thermal pad used in the cooler stack, which if installed under too much compression could potentially result in contamination. Your unit might be one of these. We have since switched to a different material.

It would be best to have the thermal pad replaced and have the sensor professionally cleaned. Plus if you do not have a grounded wrist strap there is a risk of electrostatic discharge damaging the sensor or some of the electronics. And it is not easy to get the sensor perfectly clean without proper cleaning materials and a high power inspection microscope.

14. Pablo Weigandt

We need your advice.
    Here in Panama because of the climate and atmosferic conditions, we can only do observations from now to the end of March or may be part of April !!!
    Do you thing we can use this camera as it is now and send it later on April or May, or you recommend to send it right away?
    Can we “correct” the images of this camera using flats?
    We bought from you four Alumas including the one you recently fix and the one with this problem (Serial numbers AL8300M18081301, AL8300M18081302, ALKAF8300M18042301, ALKAF8300M18032302). ¿Do you recommend changing the thermal pad or any other part to this cameras in the future?
    Other thing: the tax issue of the other camera was the import taxes to Panama. When you sent the camera to Panama, for the panamanian government the camera was a new one and I had to pay the taxes again.
    If we decide to send the camera, the process will be faster if you have to send it back to a mailbox address that we have in Miami. Than they send the camera to us. FedEx is a nightmare here in Panama.

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I understand. We certainly will follow whatever instructions you provide for returning the camera. We have trained Bill Lynch to work on Aluma cameras, so it could go to California instead of Canada.

I don't think there is any risk of damage if you keep using it as-is for now. You may not be able to use the portion of the chip that has contamination on it. I would recommend keeping an eye on the cameras and sending it in for pad replacement and cleaning if any contamination appears.

16. Pablo Weigandt

I sent same massage to Tim. He told me that If I return it to you, he will personally ensure it is repaired and returned to me as fast as possible to help minimize lost imaging time. Do you thing that it will be faster to send it to California? More or less, how long would you think will it take?

17. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If Tim promised you a speedy turnaround then I'd have him do it.

18. Pablo Weigandt

The "dry season" ended. We want to send all the four cameras we have for cleaning - maintenance - repair, beside the possible thermal pad change in some of them. That is to say, we want the cameras to be like new for the December if possible. We understand that you have to charge for that.
    Right now I am figuring out how to send the cameras the correct way in a way I don't have to pay taxes again when they come back.

Cameras Serial numbers AL8300M18081301, AL8300M18081302, ALKAF8300M18042301, ALKAF8300M18032302

19. Tim

Tim Staff Member

To return the cameras for service, please submit the contact form at the following link. Once we receive the contact details, I can provide an RMA number and return instructions.

http://diffractionlimited.com/request-rma

20. Pablo Weigandt

I have submit the form.