STT-8300 camera orientation

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Geoff Hughes, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Geoff Hughes

Geoff Hughes Cyanogen Customer

camera orientation photo.jpg AO-8T orientation photo.jpg Is the camera in photo 1 oriented correctly (with fans on top) to correspond to the "top and bottom" of the CCD? I was doing 2-star alignment last night and after much frustration trying to center the star discovered that my centering adjustments worked the opposite of what I expected. If I assumed the fans were at the "bottom" of the camera relative to the CCD my adjustments worked. But the camera label orientation suggests the opposite, if that's any indication.

Photo 2 shows the AO orientation, which I'm told is 180 degrees rotated from what it should be. Support says the software can compensate for this as far as guiding is concerned but can it compensate for my camera 1 alignment exposure? I can easily reverse the AO if that might be the problem.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The AO-8 is installed opposite of what it usually would be, but that does not matter. The software compensates.

Nor does the software care about the orientation of the camera; however, you might want to have North at the top.

That can be a bit confusing to sort out. Best thing to do is locate a star, and take an image. Then nudge the telescope South. The star will move North. If that isn't "up" the chip then rotate the camera assembly and try again. (Also note, when you flip over a German Equatorial mount, North and South will reverse.)