Problem with temp regulation

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Dave, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Dave

Dave Standard User

Brand new 16200. Was fine for the last month or so and now it seems that the cooling does not stay on. Using both TSX and CCDops, same problem. It starts to work for about 15 sec, but then switches off spontaneously. When I turn temp control back on it just won't stay on. No apparent driver or firmware update needed. I don't see any other problems with the camera. I have attached the debug log from the last short run I did with ccdops setting temp to a modest -10.
    Thanks
    Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Have you got the camera powered directly by the original AC power supply directly to the camera?
    In other words, you're not using some third-party wiring, through-the-mount cabling, or alternative power source?
    The problem you describe sounds like the camera is not getting enough current, and is shutting down.

3. Dave

Dave Standard User

Hi Colin,
    No it's the original AC cord directly to the camera. I do have the AC power coming from a web switch power strip amongst other devices being used remotely so I can certainly try powering from a different source to see if that changes anything
    Thanks
    Dave

4. Dave

Dave Standard User

Alright my friend it looks like you were right on! I switched to a different outlet and it's working now. I tried it 3 or 4 times cooling down to -10 and no problem. A little puzzling because I have several devices, mounts and another camera connected to the same terminal and they have been fine for a long time now. Hopefully it is not a symptom of something else with the camera? I am always skeptical when the solutions seem this easy :)
    Thanks Colin for your quick reply (on a Sunday no less!)
    Regards,
    Dave

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It could be a power cord problem, connection not being tight, something like that.

6. Dave

Dave Standard User

Ok thanks again! I will continue to monitor and report back certainly if the problem recurs.
    Regards
    Dave

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Since the scope moves around, it is usually a good idea to secure the DC power cord to the camera handle, so it doesn't get yanked out of the connect.
    At the AC power pack, sometimes the cord that goes into the power pack needs a bit of a push into position.

8. Dave

Dave Standard User

Ok will do. Thanks again!
    Dave