Resolved SBIG AO-L and remote guider

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Bill Goff, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Bill Goff

Bill Goff Cyanogen Customer

I've been trying to activate an AO-L on an STL camera and discovered it only uses the internal guider or remote guide head.

Is there a plug in or version of MaxIm that will allow a third option; to use the Camera 2 option on the Setup tab, an outside USB camera? Remote guide heads aren't available for the STL camera so this addition would allow a way to keep the AO-L working.

Thanks

Bill Goff

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Here's what you might consider - an SBIG StarChaser SC-3.
    https://diffractionlimited.com/product/sc-3/

@Doug and I have discussed making a mounting adapter plate for the SC-3 to bolt on the STL-series cameras.
    What model do you have - and is it internal 5-posittion filterwheel or the external 8-slot ?

Am not sure if it would work with an AO-L due to the weird shape etc, but would work with an AO-X.

3. Bill Goff

Hello Colin,
    Thanks for the response. We're hoping to avoid an internal guider. The scope is used to monitor several variable star fields during the night in automated runs, so an outside guider with a larger field of view makes finding a guide star more reliable. Without a way to use Camera 2 or a connection adaptor for the current remote head to the STL, it this it seems our only option is to find a remote head in the used market.

Are all the old style silver RGHs with the small DB connector the same? I know some were advertised as working with the STXL camera when it was the current model, but the ads didn't mention the STL.

Bill Goff

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The old remote guide heads with the "DB" style connector worked with the STL and the early model STX cameras. The last of those were sold in late 2014. Perhaps you can find one on Astromart.

5. Bill Goff

Yes, thanks Doug. I sorta figured that's what I'd have to do. It does help to know all the DB connector RGHs are the same.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Be careful on this Bill. The CCDRH-1 has a 15-pin Molex micro-D connector to mate with the Molex 15-pin micro-D on the STL series cameras.
    There is a larger Micro-D connector on the early STX cameras, before we shifted to HDMI connectors.

Right:
    STL_CCDH1_RGH.jpg
    Molex_MicroD.jpg
    Wrong:
    old_and_new_rgh_stx_993x0.jpg
    So, you want the one with the smaller Micro D 15 connector.

7. Bill Goff

Ok, thanks Colin for the further clarification, that helps!