Resolved SC-2 OAG Shakedown

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Steven Greco, Mar 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Steven Greco

Steven Greco Cyanogen Customer

I just got my new SC-2 connected to the STF-8300 (thanks to Colin for getting the reworked filter wheel spacer to me) and started integrating it into my rig. First off, I opted to use The SkyX Pro for camera control, so I started there. (I have Maxim DL so will try it there too later.) No problem connecting the software to the OAG once I selected the correct camera in TSX. They haven’t added the SC OAGs there yet, but for the record, “SBIG Imager’s built-in autoguider” seems to work fine.

I thought I’d try a test auto guide session, just to see if the STF-8300 and the OAG would work together. I did this in my basement, so there were no real stars. I selected a random spot in an image from the OAG, but had to calibrate x and y “relays” to the mount’s motors (a Paramount MyT) before proceeding. The calibration routine cranked for a while but failed because the calibration time (5 seconds) was “too small.” Attached is the graph the cal routine provides. I know this isn’t a Software Bisque forum, but wonder if anyone thinks this failure might be because I’m not doing it on the sky, with an actual star that would be moving as the Earth rotates? And I’m connecting the guider port of the SC-2 to the mount’s guider port. Is this correct?

Regardless, my overall impression of the SC-2 is very favorable.

Thanks.

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Steve,
    I believe the correct Autoguider to use with TheSkyX would be:
    ASCOM Camera .... DL Imaging Camera

The SBIG Imager's built-in autoguider would be an autoguider inside a camera (like the old STL11000) or an autoguider plugged into the Remote Guide Head on an SBIG STXL, STX, or STT.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You can't calibrate autoguiding indoors unless you can guide while sidereal tracking is turned off. Not many mounts will do that. And of course you need to have a suitable target with "stars" to focus on.

4. Steven Greco

It appears I had a false success earlier. I was using the “built in guider” option in STX Pro, but it appears that only connected to the STF-8300, so wasn’t even using the SC-2. I can’t connect using ASCOM either (an error that I can’t recall now). So, I decided to go to Maxim DL but I can’t connect to the SC-2 there either. I plugged the USB cable directly from the SC-2 to my computer just to simplify things in the basement, where I'd setting things up, but I would normally connect the USB to the MyT's built-in USB hub. Would that be a problem? Does the SC-2 need to be connected to the computer directly?

In Camera Control, I attempted to setup Camera 2, but the SC-2 is not recognized. In the "Setup DL Imaging" window I selected "DL Imaging" for the camera, and "Pick Camera" for the other camera setting. Under Advanced, there is nothing in the Camera Info fields Serial No., etc.). I can connect to the STF-8300 here, but I get the attached error when it tries to connect to the SC-2. Again, no serial number, and I can't enter the serial number manually. I attempted to register the SC-2 today, thinking that might help.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Steve

Attached Files:

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Did you follow the setup procedure in the manual?

https://diffractionlimited.com/downloads/StarChaser_User_Manual.pdf

When you have installed the software and the StarChaser is plugged in and powered up, it should appear in the DL Config utility under the USB list. If you don't see it hit the Refresh button.

config.jpg

If you still don't see it listed, then check the Device Manager to see if it appears as an SBIG Camera.

6. Steven Greco

Thanks! I don’t know what I did differently, but it’s working now. And I’m connecting via the mount’s USB hub too, so that answers that question.

In this configuration should I use the ST-4 cable from the SC-2 to the mount, or will guide commands go via USB?

Next challenge: to get it to work with STX Pro.

For the rest, I think I need to get an actual star on the sensor to calibrate and continue my climb up the learning curve.

Thanks again.

Steve

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Most people use ASCOM to the mount to send the guide commands these days. But the cable is available if needed or preferred.

8. Steven Greco

Doug,

That makes perfect sense. Just waiting for some decent weather here. Thanks.

Steve

9. Steven Greco

Colin, Doug,

So far, no help from Software Bisque on the com port problem I’m having trying connect via ASCOM in TSX Pro. They seem preoccupied with launching their new website. :). I’m not a computer whiz, but could it be a Windows 10 issue? Or is it a ASCOM problem? I ran the ASCOM diagnostic routine and passed all the tests.

Steve

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Steve, maybe I could hop onto your observatory PC and see what's going on. Do you have RDP/TeamViewer/AnyDesk?
    If so, let me know when would work. I've used TheSky X quite a bit, and maybe we can track down the message.

11. Steven Greco

Colin,

That would be great. I don’t have any of those remote access apps, unless one is part of Windows 10. Can you recommend one, free preferably? I’m free tomorrow (Sat) pretty much all day, and I’ll be free Monday afternoon after 4 pm (EDT) also.

Thanks.

Steve

12. Steven Greco

Colin, I got AnyDesk installed. ID: greco_observatory_va@ad. I can send you the password off line.

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Steve, I am tied up much of the weekend due to a series of meetings I have to attend. Will let you know if I get free on Saturday early evening.

14. Steven Greco

Hi, Colin. Saturday ended up being busy for me too. Could we schedule an afternoon this week? Any day but Friday, after 4 pm, if possible, would work.

Thanks.

Steve

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, will get back to you asap.
    Can you get me a screenshot of the error message TheSky X is giving you?

16. Steven Greco

Colin,

Here’s the error I get. There’s also a “206” error that seems to happen also. Thanks.

Steve

Attached Files:

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Are you available for a teamviewer/anydesk/rdp session?

18. Steven Greco

Yes, I have AnyDesk. The ID is greco_observatory_va@ad.

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

To resolve:
    Make sure AutoGuider using StarChaser with a Paramount is set to Direct Guide.
    Make sure StarChaser has power before you attempt to connect.
    If you connect and it fails due to no power, then subsequent attempt to connect may fail with TheSky X communications error 201 or 206.
    If this happens, then exit TSX and launch it again.
    This was TheSky X 10.5.0 12503 on Windows.

20. Steven Greco

Thanks again, Colin! Can’t wait to get some starlight on it now.