STX autoguider relays

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Dan Watson, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Dan Watson

Dan Watson Standard User

What kind of switches those are in the STX autoguider relays? CMOS, I hope? (Trying to sort out some long-cable flakiness.)

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I can dig that up, but how about you give me some context - tell me what your issue is so I understand what you actually need.
    What mount, how long the cable, and why you aren't using software guiding (ASCOM Direct Guide etc) to simplify your life.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It's actually an optoisolator with bipolar output transistors.

4. Dan Watson

Dan Watson Standard User

I'm doing a resistance and voltage-drop budget on 40-foot autoguider cables, and was wondering whether what I was getting from the camera alone was reasonable. Helps knowing that there's a bipolar-transistor diode drop in there; thanks.

The telescope is a permanently-installed Boller and Chivens 24". Control system is by DFM, a brand-new TCSGalil, and is designed for ST-4 style autoguider input. Cable run is through the telescope base to the control room one floor below. This sort of autoguiding has worked ziplessly for many years through all the generations of SBIG cameras and two previous versions of DFM TCS, which is why it is my first resort. But until this upgrade I was using an older version of TheSky as the user interface, and it had no provision for using the autoguider camera output to generate and apply the tracking corrections directly. TheSky X and TCSGalil can apparently do that; Colin is right, I should give it a try. It is kinda dumb to have the extra forth-and-back along cables for the correction, when the computer and SW which figured out the correction has direct access to the paddle.