SC-2 Nosepiece Not Fit JMI Focuser

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Ch Gillespie, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Ch Gillespie

Ch Gillespie Cyanogen Customer

Problem with nosepiece furnished w/SC-2 not fitting into JMI Focuser. (All other nosepieces furnished with your equipment as well as others have fit the JMI without problem.) The nosepiece that came with the SC-2 has a small lip (about 7/100” wide) that is exactly 2” OD diameter. Compare to the nosepiece that came with the STF-8300 camera which has a small lip (about 35/100” wide) which is 1/100” less than 2” OD diameter. The problem seems to be that extra 1/100” width of the lip diameter on the SC-2 barrel. I believe if the lip is reduced in diameter a few 1/1000” it will fit into the JMI focuser. I can do that reduction. Question: If I do the reduction, will it void my SC-2 warranty. If so, how can I otherwise get this setup to work?

The instructions state that “You can optionally use your original T-thread adapter plate instead.” I assume that is referring to the plate that came with the STF-8300. With that plate I could use the nosepiece that came with it which fits the JMI. But, the plate that came with my STF-8300 will not fit the SF-2. The plate has varying thicknesses defined by concentric circles. Outer most thickness is 15/100”; middle thickness is 22/100”; inner most thickness is 31/100”. Problem is with that inner most thickness. That part of the plate bumps against the rectangle shaped box that holds the pick-off mirror. That holds the plate away from the frame of the SC-2.

Also, I noticed another blog asked about their SC-2 fitting at a 45-degree angle instead of parallel to the STF-8300. Mine fits also at the 45-degree angle. Is this a problem? Thanks… Charlie

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Charlie,
    Thanks for reaching out - we'll help you get sorted.

We had a batch of nosepieces that were a tiny fraction oversize due to a final step in finishing. Unfortunately it seems that we let one of them out the door.
    We can send you a replacement at no charge. Ideally we'd like that one back. Our ISO9000:2015 quality processes are designed to help us deal with these situations.
    If you are in a hurry, you can turn it yourself, that won't void warranty as it's an issue.

I'm trying to visualize this - if I have it pictured in my mind correctly, I think this is what's going on:
    The plate's thickest concentric circle normally goes inside the filter wheel, so the flat side is toward the SC-2. Flip it over and see if that works for you.

Are you using an FW8-8300 filter wheel or FW-Spacer without a filter wheel?
    Looping in colleague @Doug for comment.

3. Ch Gillespie

Sorry about leaving off the filter wheel information. I am using the FW8-8300 filter wheel. Also, about flipping over the plate. The "back side" of the plate has a lip over the threads for the nosepiece and the nose piece threads can't engage the threads because of that lip.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I've looped in colleagues.
    We appreciate your patience while we solve this for you.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes the 45 degree angle is an unexpected problem. We are planning a change to the SC-2 mounting ring to fix that; however, that will take a while to implement. The fastest way to get you up and running would be to swap out your filter wheel's front plate.

@Tim can provide RMA instructions.

6. Ch Gillespie

Questions: Said you would send me a new nosepiece since the one that came with SC-2 is too big. When will that ship? Also, said "Tim" could provide RMA instructions for filter wheel front plate. If I get the new nose piece, things should work without changing out the front plate. Not sure what I need to do. Please advise. Thanks... Charlie

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Just sent a PM.

8. Tim

Tim Staff Member

RMA details sent to PM