FW8-STL connection problem

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by peter starr, Apr 4, 2020.

1. peter starr

peter starr Cyanogen Customer

Hi
    I have a SBig FW8-STL filterwheel.
    When power is appled the filterwheel turns as normal to find its home position.
    However when I try to connect to the STL 6303E CCD in Maxim DL I get a filterwheel connection problem.
    I notice that the cable that goes from the 12C-AUX that goes into the filterwheel 12C in that has the wires exposed.
    There are a green, brown, yellow and grey wires intact. There are some like red and black that are not connected. From memory they have always been like that and the system worked. There is an orange wire that looks like it may have severed.

Do you think that is my issue?
    Should I get someone to solder this back together if that is the issue.
    I guess being an obsolete product i cant get a replacement cable?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you provide a photo of both ends of the cable, and one showing the damage?
    There should be no exposed wires.

Is this a wheel you've had for a while, or a new-to-you (used) item you just got?
    Serial number?

Our service expert @Bill can likely repair this for you. I expect he will see this message on Monday.

3. peter starr

Hi
    I bought it new back in 2012 I think. Photo attached.
    If its a matter of just soldering the wire might be better if I get it done in Australia rather than shipping it back. Perhaps Bintel in Sydney could do it. They sell your cameras and do some repairs on telescopes. Otherwise I can ship it back.

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Bintel can probably fix it it for you.

There was supposed to be a tie wrap on the insulation, that kept the cable from coming out of the hole - you can see the indent from it in the insulation. It apparently fell off, which is probably why the cable pulled out and broke.

5. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Peter,

You'll need a new cable (or at least an inch or 2 cut off of that one if there is the length for it). I'd recommend you send it in. Send me an email, bill@sbig.com, and I will give you the details for doing so.

-Bill

6. peter starr

Wires have been exposed for a number of years so inevitable it was going to break at some stage as the ccd gets removed a fair bit . Where do I go from here? Wait for Bill to reply?

7. peter starr

Hi Bill. Did you receive my email?

8. Bill

9. peter starr

just resent it

10. Bill

gotcha!