AOX Calibration in TheSkyX

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by RodG, Apr 24, 2020.

1. RodG

RodG Standard User

Has anyone seen a problem in TSX where you get the error, “Motion too small during X+ move. Increase calibration time. Error=554” when you ry to calibrate the AOX? Any suggestions on how to correct this issue?

Rod

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

@Colin Haig might have some suggestions.

Perhaps check if it works in CCDOPS. If it does then it's a software issue of some kind.

Failing that, you'd best ask on the Software Bisque support forum.

3. RodG

RodG Standard User

Thanks for the quick response. I am planning on checking it with CCDOPS tonight (weather permitting). I also have a thread open on the Bisque forums. Just trying to research all options.

Rod

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Rod - what mount do you have and how is it connected to the guider? e.g. Astrophysics AP1600 to ST-4 port; Paramount and software guiding?
    If it is an ST-4 cable, then it might need the opposite wiring, e.g. flipped vs straight-through.
    One thing i do is check that the guiding is actually working in all 4 axes. e.g. the guide +x/-x should move the RA faster / RA slower; +y/-y should move Dec axis up or down. (The direction depends on your hemisphere eg Northern vs Southern)
    If you find nothing happening in 1 axis, it may be that cable.
    If software, am not sure, you may have to give it more time... ideally, the star should move several pixels in each of the 4 directions.
    You can also check the AO in CCDOPS test this by exercising the AO and snapping an image, or just look/listen to make sure the AO is moving in all 4 directions.
    IF I think of something else, will let you know.
    Tom House on the Bisque forums is a great resource too.

5. RodG

RodG Standard User

I have a Paramount using the ST-4 port. That is not the problem. I can calibrate with the relays OK. It's just when I try and calibrate the AO that I receive the error. Actually the error really makes no sense since there is no timing parameter for the AO.

Rod

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Have you set the FOVI up and your optical parameters in TSX? It might be doing a calculation based on # of pixels etc.

7. RodG

RodG Standard User

This problem has appeared again with another user. I was able to calibrate the AOX using CCDOPS and then magically after that calibration, TSX calibrated. One item to note. The camera is remotely connected to TSX using IP. But the CCDOPS was connected using USB (since CCDOPS cannot connect using IP) with a second computer that I temporarily located at the scope. Could there be an issue trying to calibrate the AOX using IP?

Rod

8. RodG

RodG Standard User

No one has any thoughts or suggestions?

Rod

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Rod, it shouldnt matter whether IP or USB connected.
    If there is an issue with TSX, then it's best to post on the Software Bisque forum.

10. RodG

RodG Standard User

Yes, has been posted for some time. Typical finger pointing and no solution.

Rod

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you give me the link to the post over on the Bisque forum - maybe I can bridge the gap.

12. RodG

RodG Standard User

While it indeed may be a TSX issue, not very many are seeing this issue. The issue appears to be somewhat random. On separate occasions, I received the error, “Motion too small during X+ move. Increase calibration time. Error=554” when I try to calibrate the AOX with TSX. Trying all of the suggestions from the TSX forum, most did not work. However on the last occasion, the suggestion was to try CCDOPS calibration and it worked. Immediately after the successful CCDOPS calibration, now TSX could calibrate. So all was well. However several days later, I again attempted to calibrate the AOX with TSX and again had the same issue. After connecting and calibration with CCDOPS, TSX could again calibrate. I am normally connected to the camera with TSX remotely using IP. But since I cannot connect to AOX with CCDOPS with IP, the calibration was done with a different PC locally connected using CCDOPS. This is why I asked the question about IP calibration being somehow different. Here is the link to the post:

Unable to Calibrate AO – Page 2 – Software Bisque

and the original post:

Unable to calibrate AO – Software Bisque

Rod

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Rod - Joshua Bunn is in separate discussions with us, as he is doing some non-supported things with a mix of hardware; his situation doesn't apply to whatever you are experiencing.
    The other thread is 3 years old and doesnt seem to apply.

Are you saying things work in CCDOps (or MaxIm) and don't in TSX?
    What version of TSX - including the Daily Build number, and 32 or 64bit?

14. RodG

RodG Standard User

Yes, this is an ongoing issue that I have been experiencing for quite some time. The fortunate thing is I really do not need to recalibrate very often. I have been using several different versions over the years while usually using the latest build. I have not yet upgraded to the 64-bit but am currently using the latest 32-bit daily build Version 10.5.0 Build 12966.

What I am saying and have been saying is, upon startup, TSX is unable to calibrate the AOX using IP. Once the camera has been running for a while and especially after connection to CCDOPS (using USB from a different computer) and doing a AOX calibration, then TSX can successfully do an AOX calibration using IP (as long as the camera is never repowered).

The symptom is when the calibration fails in TSX, the AOX never moves and that causes the error.

Rod

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Is your computer remote accessible (eg via TeamViewer?) - then maybe we could schedule a time and you could demo it to me.
    I'm on EDT (UTC-4) - what about yourself?

16. RodG

RodG Standard User

Central time. Right now I am upgrading the PC controls and it is unavailable. However, once every thing is back on line , I will need to recalibrate so if the problem still exists on the new computer, then I would appreciate the help. I'll let you know either way.

Rod

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, sounds like a plan.